MP3 CD with folders

H

hollerz1

Hi,
My car CD player can play MP3's, and i can put each album into a folder on the CD, so i can choose which album to play by choosing the folder.

But since I went Mac I converted all my MP3's to AAC, and I know I can change iTunes preferences to burn an MP3 CD, but is there a way to select multiple playlists, and make each one a seperate folder on the CD? (Would be easiest and preffered solution!)

In Windows I could just burn the folders containing the MP3's for each album as I would for a normal data disc, but as they are all now AAC, is there a program to convert the AAC's into temporary MP3's, burn the MP3's, and then delete the MP3's it just made?

Dunno if that made sense but thanks!

OP
C

Chamorro

hollerz1 said:
Hi,
My car CD player can play MP3's, and i can put each album into a folder on the CD, so i can choose which album to play by choosing the folder.

But since I went Mac I converted all my MP3's to AAC, and I know I can change iTunes preferences to burn an MP3 CD, but is there a way to select multiple playlists, and make each one a seperate folder on the CD? (Would be easiest and preffered solution!)

In Windows I could just burn the folders containing the MP3's for each album as I would for a normal data disc, but as they are all now AAC, is there a program to convert the AAC's into temporary MP3's, burn the MP3's, and then delete the MP3's it just made?

Dunno if that made sense but thanks!

You might want to consider keeping everything mp3. Anyway, you can use iTunes to go mp3>AAC, just make sure to keep track of where the converted tracks go and delete them afterwards.
As far as making an mp3 CD, I've always just used Toast; pretty much like how you used to make them.

OP
W

Wapa18

you can use OS X's built in data burning features. u will need to convert all the aac's you want into mp3's from itunes, and then once they're converted, just grab them in the finder, make folders for each album, and drop them onto a blank cd. i know it's a little tedious to have to convert everything like this, but my car cd player is the same way, and i've done this before. it's a little extra effort that makes the whole car experience better. i don't know what i would have done if i had to skip through each track on my car cd player without album folders.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
Just change the burn preference to mp3.

I burned a CD for use in my sons portable CD player and it seemed to quite happy with the folders that iTunes created on the disc (i.e nested under album names), it even displayed all the names of the albums and tunes correctly which I thought was cool.

The burning process will take a while though as iTunes has to convert all the aac files to mp3 before it burns the disc. If you are going to do this a lot it may be better to change the import preferences to mp3.

It also makes sense to stick with mp3 if you are going to make DVDs or Video CDs as this seems to be the default. I made the mistake of burning a DVD with aac files imported into iDVD and all I ended up with on playing it on my TV was a lot of silence. I changed all the files to mp3 and it worked fine.

Amen-Moses

OP
H

hollerz1

Amen-Moses.. I tried doing that, making a new playlist, dragging all songs i want into it and sort it by album, but when i click burn disc it says "None of the songs in this playlist can be burnt to disc" or something like that.

Any idea how to get around that?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hollerz1 said:
Amen-Moses.. I tried doing that, making a new playlist, dragging all songs i want into it and sort it by album, but when i click burn disc it says "None of the songs in this playlist can be burnt to disc" or something like that.

Any idea how to get around that?

Thanks

No I don't, I may have burned my sons CD prior to the introduction of the aac standard as default, let me play with with my new machine to see what happens.

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, my bad, iTunes 4 needs all the files to be already in Mp3 format before it will burn them to disc, bloody idiots wrote this software!

I am having a really bad day with iDVD, probably one of the worst software application I have ever used, so excuse me if I'm not totally pro Apple at present. ;)

Use Toast and do it manually, at least the **** thing will work that way.

(Mind you having said that I have today added 3 new coasters to my collection curtesy of Toast, maybe that will teach me not to buy cheap bulk media)

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.