Moving to new iPhones

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 MBP retina, 2013 Mac Air, iPhone SE 1st
I finally am ending my and wife's iPhone 1st Gen SE to new iPhone 13 (maybe a mini for me as I found new 13 minis on eBay with a warranty from Santa Monica Wireless).
I have researched methods to transfer all information from the SE to iPhone 13. I found a couple of methods to do it. It seems that the most clear method is using iCloud. Neither phone has a lot of information on them. But my question is are there any preferred methods to transferring from old iPhone to a new one or anything in particular I should be aware of?
Thanks ahead of time

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Ensure both of you have your own Apple ID and logged into your phones. Do a iCloud backup on your existing devices, and login to your account on the new device and restore the backup and you're done.

This is how I've been migrating phones and it works brilliantly!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ensure both of you have your own Apple ID and logged into your phones. Do a iCloud backup on your existing devices, and login to your account on the new device and restore the backup and you're done.

This is how I've been migrating phones and it works brilliantly!
Thanks we both have separate IDs. Will this method also move added apps from the old iPhones to the new iPhones?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Yes, everything moves over, apps, music, photos/videos, all data from your apps, PDFs, etc, etc.

Essentially, once the restore is complete, you should be able to use everything on your new phone just you did on your old phone.

Now some of the data is going to come in from Apple services, for example, Messages. So if you immediately launch Messages when the restore begins, you won't see everything immediately, but a few hours later you'll see it.

Usually within 24 hours, the new device will have everything you're supposed to have.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I agree, it's a bit slower but you can use the original iPhone while the new one is restoring all your data. It overcomes any compatibility issues and you can leave moving your SIM card till the new iPhone is ready.

One little thing to know is if you use any authenticator apps eg Google Authenticator you can transfer the app to the new phone by generating a QR code on the old phone and scanning it with the new iPhone. The same thing applied to some banking apps, PayPal and others so don't erase your old iPhone before you check all your apps are working on the new iphone.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, everything moves over, apps, music, photos/videos, all data from your apps, PDFs, etc, etc.

Essentially, once the restore is complete, you should be able to use everything on your new phone just you did on your old phone.

Now some of the data is going to come in from Apple services, for example, Messages. So if you immediately launch Messages when the restore begins, you won't see everything immediately, but a few hours later you'll see it.

Usually within 24 hours, the new device will have everything you're supposed to have.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was waiting on the outter boxes and screen shields before I set up and activated the new 13s. Now everything has arrived I am ready to set up. One thing I am not sure. Is transferring the data the !st thing I do after turning on the new iPhone13? Then after transferring data I then set up the new phone. Just checking cause I was not sure of the sequence. Thanks

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.