moving Photos from iPhoto to thumb drive

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi, welcome. Nice to have you.

How many photos are you talking about? A few selected, or large numbers or your whole library?

In its simplest stage, it is a matter of selecting photos and exporting them (in whatever resolution and size you want, determined in the export drop down menus), and choosing your thumb drive as the destination.

However, if you are looking to move your entire library, that is a totally different thing and is expedited in a different way.

In order to advise you in a more specific manner, it would assist if you (1) told us exactly what you are trying to achieve (2) what model, year of your iMac (3) what OS you are running.

Ian

OP
H
Reaction score
Ian,
I had a bit of a brain cramp in my original message so let me try again. First, I have a Mac min (late 2012) OS X Yosemite 10.10.5. I want to transfer 44 photos from my iPhoto file to a thumb drive. I tried to Export the file the drive but must have done something wrong.
Jerry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Are you highlighting the photos that you want to transfer first? You need to and then choose Export, selecting the size and destination then you should be good to go.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Jerry

No problem at all. We all those "moments".

OK. In iPhoto select the 44 photos. If they are in sequence, Left Click on first and then holding down the Shift key, click on the last. That will select all photos between these two points. If the photos are here & there, choose them by holding down the Command key and then clicking on each one in order.

Now that you've chosen the photos; Go to the top menu bar and Click File > Export. This will open a drop down menu. Kind = JPEG. JPEG quality (choose between Low, Medium, High, Maximum). Size: (choose between small, medium, large, full size). Click Export. This will open up a box. Now choose where you want to copy the images. (If you can't navigate to your thumb drive, can't find it, whatever; just choose Desktop and hit OK. From the desktop you can drag them to your drive).

Please report back on success or otherwise.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
No need to go through the Export route. Just drag and drop from the iPhoto window onto your thumbdrive.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Jerry, glad it worked.

MightyGem, your method is, of course, absolutely fine. I had firstly to find out what Jerry actually wanted to achieve. I only suggested the Export route because that way you can determine quality, size etc, etc. Dragging is great, but as far as I know it copies at a standard format which the operator can't adjust. At the end, he's a happy man. Case closed!:Blushing:

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.