Moving mp3 files

Reaction score
I want to get music from my desktop itunes into my laptop imovie. How do you do that?

OP
U
Reaction score
Right, but I have my itunes library on another computer. Can I link up with it somehow?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Right, but I have my itunes library on another computer. Can I link up with it somehow?

Well, there are plenty of options, e.g. an external HD, USB flash drive, or SD card or 'wireless' choices, such as Dropbox, email, AirDrop, etc. Dave :)

OP
U
Reaction score
So I can't, say, transfer my itunes library with my apple id to another computer? There must be a way to access it remotely...

C

chas_m

Yes you can transfer your iTunes library to any computer you own. Do a search for that topic and you'll find instructions (I'm on my phone at the mo so I'm leaving that to you to do, sorry.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So I can't, say, transfer my itunes library with my apple id to another computer? There must be a way to access it remotely...

Please, tell us clearly WHAT you want to do? From the OP, sounded as if all you needed was to transfer a few sound tracks into an iMovie; NOW, you want to transfer your entire iTunes library - provide more specific information - Dave :)

OP
U
Reaction score
Either. I simply want to access my itunes library. I found something called homeshare but apparently got my apple id wrong. When I go to recover it, the system apple uses want to reset my password. That's not what I want. How do I simply recover my apple id?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Either. I simply want to access my itunes library. I found something called homeshare but apparently got my apple id wrong. When I go to recover it, the system apple uses want to reset my password. That's not what I want. How do I simply recover my apple id?

Well, now another issue, i.e Apple ID - if you do not know your ID, then simply google 'Apple ID recovery' - there will be plenty of hits to help.

As to 'sharing' between your two computers, you need to go into System Preferences -> Sharing and set up the features desired (see my dialog box - I'm just sharing Printers - OS is Yosemite) - please read this Apple Support Article for some guidance. Let us know if this information helps. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-12-26 at 11.01.14 AM.png

OP
U
Reaction score
For finding my apple id, again the prompt sets up something to reset my password. That's not what I want. What is wrong with their system???

C

chas_m

The problem isn't their system, it's you. You don't appear to know your Apple ID, or if you do you entered it incorrectly. Check to see if you can log in to the iTunes Store on a browser or some other entry point using your correct Apple ID.

OP
U
Reaction score
You don't seem to get it- like apple's support site. I DON'T REMEMBER MY APPPLE ID! I don't need a new password, I need the messed up support site to send me my APPLE ID!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You don't seem to get it- like apple's support site. I DON'T REMEMBER MY APPPLE ID! I don't need a new password, I need the messed up support site to send me my APPLE ID!

Well, your Apple ID is often just an email address? Did you go HERE and try to recover your ID? Dave :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes. That's where I go and it wants to set a new password.

OK - so you've entered your name and your email address (which is likely our Apple ID?) - and you have gotten to the window shown below - correct?

Then why not just click on 'NEXT' (unless you know the other option's questions)? What's the problem w/ changing your password? I'll stop there for your response - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2014-12-27 at 8.11.42 PM.png

OP
U
Reaction score
Not a problem if I can type in the same password I've had and it accepts it. Anyone know if it will?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a problem if I can type in the same password I've had and it accepts it. Anyone know if it will?

OK - I'm in suspense - ;) Just do whatever - you can always change your PW back - Dave :)

OP
U
Reaction score
Thanks boys. Found my apple id on my own.

So I'm doing sharing and it seems both my desktop and laptop have to be on with Itunes on. Downloading my library of music into my laptop but it's taking hours. Does this make sense? What about just grabbing certain tunes?

C

chas_m

If you're using USB 2 or lower, it will of course take a long time. If you have the ability to transfer by USB 3 or Firewire (or Thunderbolt), use those methods (waaaaay faster).

OP
U
Reaction score
Is Home Sharing the way to import individual tunes from my desktop itunes to my laptop itunes? I read somewhere that that is just for listening. I need to import to use in imovie.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.