Moving jpg files to iCloud

Reaction score
A while back, I added many photographs to my macbook air. They were initially in Picasa. I would like to put all of them in iCloud, but they are not in Photos. The images are in folders and are not in the library. I cannot seem to find a set of instructions on how to move them safely. Is there help? Currently, the images are listed in Finder folder entitled 'Pictures'.Thanks in advance.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums and thank you for your post.

As I recall it, Picasa, doesn't store the images but edits/modifies them and the creates aliases to the original, thus providing a non-destructive service.

So, as I see it, you need to navigate to the originals (which you say are in a Folder within "Pictures") and these are what you need to import to Photos app. When done, go into Photos' System Preferences > iCloud and check the box "iCloud Photos" to secure upload to iCloud.

To import these to the Photos app, open Photos > File > Import > Navigate to the Pictures Folder.

NB If you have a large number of photographs, videos etc, their upload can take a long time. AND, make sure you have enough iCloud Storage to accommodate them along with anything else you may be syncing to the iCloud.

Any more info or detail, please ask.

Ian

OP
A
Reaction score
A warm welcome to Mac-Forums and thank you for your post.

As I recall it, Picasa, doesn't store the images but edits/modifies them and the creates aliases to the original, thus providing a non-destructive service.

So, as I see it, you need to navigate to the originals (which you say are in a Folder within "Pictures") and these are what you need to import to Photos app. When done, go into Photos' System Preferences > iCloud and check the box "iCloud Photos" to secure upload to iCloud.

To import these to the Photos app, open Photos > File > Import > Navigate to the Pictures Folder.

NB If you have a large number of photographs, videos etc, their upload can take a long time. AND, make sure you have enough iCloud Storage to accommodate them along with anything else you may be syncing to the iCloud.

Any more info or detail, please ask.

Ian

When clicking 'import', the options are import to either 'new album' or library. I am keeping the folder organization. I am assuming the library option. Correct? Bob Hearn

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Import to Library.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.