• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Moving iMovie folders/files from system SSD to second internal SSHD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
I have a MacBook Pro 13 Mid 2010, OSX 10.13.6. The system disk id a 500gig SSD with a second a 1tb SSHD fitted in the DVD slot. The SSD is getting rather full! And I need to move some folders and files.

I am in a bit of a quandary over the possibility of moving a load of the 'DV movie' folders and files from my system SSD to a second disk, an SSHD, that I fitted in place of the DVD drive.

I have used iMovie to make a lot of movies for the video files and I don't know if the files on the SSD are linked to the final movies? That if I move the original unedited files they will become disconnected from the movies?

The folders are in ' High Sierra SSD - Movies - iMovie Events . So they don't come under the 'Users' folder.

I'm sorry if this is a bit vague, but I'm not really sure what is what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
The iMovie Events file is for use with iMovie 11; ie iMovie v9. The current version of iMovie; ie, iMovie 10 doesn't use those files.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Thank you for your replies folks.

I am on iMovie 10. I have just checked.

So does that mean the link from Ferarr is not operable for my case?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
So does that mean the link from Ferarr is not operable for my case?
No that's valid. It tells you how to move the iMovie Library file in your Movies Folder. This is where iMovie 10 stores everything.

When you've copied it across, rename it, say iMovie Library External. You'll then know which Library you are using when using iMovie. I have a Library on my Mac and on my external drive. I can choose in iMovie which one to open, or even have both open.

You can also create a new iMovie Library on your external drive from iMovie. Go File Menu>Open Library>New.

OP
Jonzjob
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you MGem and I assume that now I have created a new folder on my second disk I can move the files across, free up space on my SSD and iMovie will still know where it has vanished to?

On further checking I found a ridiclous amount of photos on the SSD as well. So far I have moved them across to the second disk, the 1tb SSHD but haven't trashed them off of the system SSD. That's a job for tomorrow. Flying my RC gliders from a hillside in a wind up to about 35mph is enough excitement for me for one day:Confused::Confused: And I need my beauty sleep.

I will look to see if I can sort it out tomorrow. Thank you again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only file that you should need to move is the iMovie Library File. All the video footage for your projects should be in there. When you first run iMovie after the move, hold down the Option/Alt key as you open it. You'll then get a prompt to chose the Library file that you want to use. After that, iMovie should remember your choice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.