Moving files and folder in MBP

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro (2012), OSX 10.13 High Sierra
Jake, thanks
Did that.
Am surprised to find that WORD is not in the list.

I have added Safari now.

A screenshot:
Screen Shot of LOGIN items.png

There is in the list an Ap called Android File Transfer Agent - Have no idea what this is. Perhaps the previous owner of the laptop had put it there. Would you kindly tell me what it is for?

What I found in google:
How to use it
Download the app.
Open AndroidFileTransfer.dmg.
Drag Android File Transfer to Applications.
Use the USB cable that came with your Android device and connect it to your Mac.
Double click Android File Transfer.
Browse the files and folders on your Android device and copy files.

Android File Transferwww.android.com › filetransfer

I don't have an Android device

In the previous msg I wrote:

why the smileys once can use are only faces, and not other gestures like thumbs, high5, clap, down or up pointers, etc,

I meant to ask if we can use emojis in our posts, and if so, how?

Thank you for your help

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Mukund

I'm sure Jake will be thrilled to receive your thanks:) Me too;D

Thanks for the screenshot. The Android File Transfer Agent (AFT) can be deleted from the login items for sure. And you might want to delete it from Applications, but it's no big deal and as you don't have an Android phone, you probably can't anyway.

Safari is shown as a login item. I presume that this is down to you - well done.

So after you have removed the AFT Agent from login items, you're left with Safari, as you wanted.

Re emojis: you'll see I've used a couple.

This is what you do. When you reply or post, look up at the small bar at the top of the post window. Starting from far Right you have "Quote", then "Insert Video", then "Insert Image" (you use that already!!), then keep going along that row (7th from the right) and you will see a smiley face.

Click on that to bring up a window of static emojis. Click on one & it inserts automatically. Click on "More" to bring up a window of animated emojis - much more fun. Again, click to insert.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bob

Thanks a lot
It worked perfectly.

What I was trying to do was sort and adjust columns in the other view- Icon, list cover flow which is the third choice in View.

But Im fine with sorting in List view

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Mukund

I'm sure Jake will be thrilled to receive your thanks:) Me too;D

Thanks for the screenshot. The Android File Transfer Agent (AFT) can be deleted from the login items for sure. And you might want to delete it from Applications, but it's no big deal and as you don't have an Android phone, you probably can't anyway.

This is what you do. When you reply or post, look up at the small bar at the top of the post window. Starting from far Right you have "Quote", then "Insert Video", then "Insert Image" (you use that already!!), then keep going along that row (7th from the right) and you will see a smiley face.

Click on that to bring up a window of static emojis. Click on one & it inserts automatically. Click on "More" to bring up a window of animated emojis - much more fun. Again, click to insert.

Ian

Sorry for the mix up that reply ought to have been addressed to you. Thanks
I shall delete the AFT agent

When I mentioned emoji, I was not referring to the smileys of which there is a large choice, and which I knew about,

In these days of social distancing the typically Indian NAMASTE is gaining popularity, which also means when used in WhatsApp "thank you".

I must tell all you guys who are supporting me that with every passing day I am feeling that teeny weeny bit more confident on the MBP :smile

Cheers, guys "thumbsup" emoji

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In a PC, after some use, one deletes TEMP files which clog up the HDD and make it run slower.
Is there a similar way of cleaning up temp files in the MBP??
How and Where??

Reaction score
Jonathan,
Many thanks. That is going to be a useful tip.
Merci
Mukund

You're welcome. I edited my earlier post, but wanted to make sure you see it. I should have also mentioned the opposite shortcut. If you want to COPY something instead of moving it, the hold down the Option key while dragging and dropping.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for that reminder. As a veteran Mac user I often forget those shortcuts. In fact I went looking for that very move shortcut and you posted the solution before I found it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
In a PC, after some use, one deletes TEMP files which clog up the HDD and make it run slower.
Is there a similar way of cleaning up temp files in the MBP??
How and Where??
Many Mac users don't bother cleaning up these kinds of files. In the days of larger capacity hard drives they don't take up much space and, on the Mac side at least, don't seem to cause enough havoc often enough to make it worth investing the time to get rid of them.

Having said all that, there are several such utilities for the Mac. I wouldn't touch most of because they make it too easy to delete things that are important to the OS itself or to certain software. The most consistently recommended on on the forum is Onyx. It's default settings seem to have the least chance of causing problems. Make sure to get the correct version for your OS.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bob
I am trying to get to the end of this thread. When I press page 2, it jumps to the last post but in a different view which I cannot exit to the normal posts view.
Screen Shot of post in a different view.png

This has happened before and I don't know how I got this view. Earlier I would fiddle around and it would revert to the posts view standard format, but this time it is not happening

Help :Oops:

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you go into System Preferences > Users & Groups then Click on Login Items - to the right you will see those items/apps that will automatically open when you log in.

I suspect Word is there - maybe others too.

Bottom Left you will see a Padlock. Click on that. It will ask for your Admin Password. After that you can select any item you don't want to open and use the minus (-) symbol to remove it. That is the minus symbol under the list of login item.

If you want to add an item - Safari in your case - click on the plus (+) sign. That is the plus sign under login items. This will open a small window showing you all your Applications. Choose Safari, then click on Add.

View attachment 31512

Ian

Im afraid Im going back to an earlier post of yours.

Problem 1
My LOGIN items now has ONLY Safari
Now, when I open my MBP it comes with a strange screen.

There is a Desktop screen at the bcak
There is a WORD screen partially (not maximised) open,
and
behind it you can see my screensaver - picture of a Tiger
and
you can also see my Safari open but not maximised.
I expected that my Safari - which is the only item currently in my LOGIN items, to be open with the Mac-forum screen fully open.

Screen Shot opening screenwith WORD but Safari not open.png

Further, Problem 2
I believe my settings are that the Safari is supposed to open with the last Tabs that were open while shutting down.
But I see a line of stuff in the Menu bar:
at the left extreme is a grid of 12 dots, then nine tabs starting with Kindle, Mac Keyboard support....... ending with Welcome to Mac...
I believe these are Bookmarks. Aren't they??

What I expected to see was two tabs which I had when I closed: Google and Mac-Forum Switcher

Problem 3

Infrequently I get a strange screen when I start my MBP.
Screen Shot your clock set incorrectly.png
It tells me that "your clock is incorrectly set" Heavens, but I never changed any time or date setting!!
This has happened twice of thrice before and it happened today too.
How do I resolve this?

Finally Problem 4

When I need to paste a screen shot in a post I need to resize it. I am not very clear how to resize it so that it doesn't become microscopic. Is the best choice 800x800 size, or what?

Thanks

Screen Shot of LOGIN items.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Bob
I am trying to get to the end of this thread. When I press page 2, it jumps to the last post but in a different view which I cannot exit to the normal posts view.
View attachment 31528

This has happened before and I don't know how I got this view. Earlier I would fiddle around and it would revert to the posts view standard format, but this time it is not happening

Help :Oops:
This issue is in regards to the "Reader View" you have selected. It is at the left edge of the Address Bar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Here is what I have in my Login items,

Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 11.05.05 AM.png

I also use the "Open at Login" option, when right clicking on items in the Dock. Also, apps will reopen if you choose the option when you are restarting/logging off/on to "Reopen windows when logging back in".

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This issue is in regards to the "Reader View" you have selected. It is at the left edge of the Address Bar.

Sorry, which Address Bar are you referring to?
In Safari>View>Show Hide Reader. one can select it.
But without selecting Show Reader, if I swipe left on the screen, the post shows up in Reader View, and sometimes I cannot get it out

- - - Updated - - -

Here is what I have in my Login items,

View attachment 31559

I also use the "Open at Login" option, when right clicking on items in the Dock. Also, apps will reopen if you choose the option when you are restarting/logging off/on to "Reopen windows when logging back in".

Thanks, Bob

That is all done, but yet I am getting this strange display of different windows as described in my post

Reaction score
Sorry, which Address Bar are you referring to?
In Safari>View>Show Hide Reader. one can select it.
But without selecting Show Reader, if I swipe left on the screen, the post shows up in Reader View, and sometimes I cannot get it out

Yeah, I don't use Safari, but when I opened it just now, there's no button at the left of the address bar to enter this view (Bob must have customized his toolbar or maybe running a different version of Safari).
safari.jpg

However, COMMAND+SHIFT+R should toggle the view on and off. Have you tried that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, I don't use Safari, but when I opened it just now, there's no button at the left of the address bar to enter this view (Bob must have customized his toolbar or maybe running a different version of Safari).
View attachment 31563

However, COMMAND+SHIFT+R should toggle the view on and off. Have you tried that?
No, I don't use Reader view, mukund enabled it on his Mac. See his post # 29.

How many address bars do browsers have?

Reaction score
No, I don't use Reader view, mukund enabled it on his Mac. See his post # 29.

How many address bars do browsers have?

Sorry - I got confused and thought the earlier screen shot was yours illustrating where the reader view button was and implying he should click that button to turn the reader view off. I didn't realize you were "quoting" his screen shot in your reply. I thought you were saying it was some sort of permanent fixture at the left of the address bar to toggle the reader view on/off, but now I see it only appears there if you enable reader view. Not sure why you're asking the question about how many address bars. Did I suggest there was more than one? lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did I suggest there was more than one? lol

No, that was another mukund issue, where he did not know what address bar I was referring to. I forgot to direct it to mukund.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.