Move application to another Mac

Reaction score
I upgraded my desktop to Catalina. As a result I have an app (game) that will not work with Catalina. Can I transfer that app to my laptop running High Sierra? If so, how?

Thanks in advance

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
"Most" macOS applications are usually self-contained within a single folder under /Applications. So you could just grab the contents of that folder and move it to the same folder on your High Sierra laptop.

If the app has an installer, then you might have to grab that and use that instead.

I presume the app you are talking about is a 32-bit application which Catalina dropped support for.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
How did you get the game?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I think Bob is hinting at if you got the game from the App Store you could just download it again on your laptop, assuming it operates on the same Apple ID (account).
If it came from another source you could, perhapes, download it again from there onto your laptop at no cost if it comes with a CD Key or registration number so long as you know what that was but perhaps you are concerned about saved game states. If you have additional folders in Application Support or elsewhere like saved games and preferences you would loose them.
You could try just dragging the game to an appropriately formatted USB device and transferring it that way but if as above you have other data you would need to locate it and transfer that as well. I have never tried to do this so I have no idea if it is possible but the game, if it is self contained should transfer okay.
If it was the type of game that came with an installer and you kept it, you should certainly be able to transfer that by the USB drive manner and reinstall the game on your laptop. Again you would loose any data in associated files or folders but at least they will be put in the appropriate places.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.