Mouse loses grip when click dragging

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.7GHz i5 (27 inch mid 2011)
A month ago my iMac (27" mid year 2011) slowed to a crawl, then wouldn't reboot, so I suspected a failed hard drive. I took it in to a shop and they replaced the mechanical drive with a SSD, but it also died about two weeks later.

They replaced it at no charge, thanks very much, but since then something weird is happening. The mouse is acting funny. Only rarely can I select text to cut it and write something new. I have to delete it one character at a time. Resizing a window is sometimes impossible. I can grab the lower right corner and drag, changing the size a 1/4" or so, but then it lets go, and starts selecting text in the window. Also, I now usually have to click twice on something to get the action where a single click would have worked before. And opening to reply to an email it goes full screen.

Can any of this be related to my SSD? Are there any settings I should reset and set again? I changed the double click speed to very fast, then to medium, no help.

The mouse works on my 2007 iMac. The mouse for that machine no longer works so I can't try it on my 2011.

Reaction score
Is the mouse in question a USB mouse, or a wireless mouse?

If it is a USB mouse, have you tried it in a different USB port on the problematic Mac?

Do you have a different mouse to try on your problematic Mac?

Go into:
System Preferences --> General
and uncheck "Allow handoff between this Mac and your iCloud devices"
and see if that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Which mouse and OS versions are you using on there 2011 Mac?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My 2011 iMac is running High Sierra, 10.13.6.

The mouse is a Logitech wireless mouse. I have two, but the one I was using with my 2007 iMac no longer works on either Mac. I was careful not to mix up the wireless USB modules.

The newer mouse seems to work ok on my old machine. I didn't spend a lot of time testing it, but it was acting like it should.

Reaction score
I also use Logitech wireless mice. Actually I've had an entire fleet of them for many years. I get the same problem you are experiencing when either the USB beavertooth receiver has gone bad, or the receiver and the mouse aren't close enough to each other.

Note that not all Logitech receivers will pair with all Logitech mice. So I never mix and match. When a mouse or a receiver fails, I just buy a new mouse and toss both the old receiver and the old mouse.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Randy, thanks very much. Office Depot, here I come.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you. I just returned from Office Depot with a $17 Logitech mouse, but I left it in the car... I will try it later today.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
@JohnnyP
Thank you. I just returned from Office Depot with a $17 Logitech mouse, but I left it in the car... I will try it later today.

Don't be surprised if Logitech Control Centre or Logitech Options, if either are suggested or required, don't recognize the mouse, or cannot control or modify some of its actions properly which is a nasty feature of a lot of Logitech's cheaper mice. Basic Mouse functions will normally work with a Mac.

- Patrick
=======

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick: I just powered up the new mouse, it's working like a champ. I haven't opened the mouse preferences yet...I think I'll leave them alone for now.

It's their M325 model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Don't be surprised if Logitech Control Centre or Logitech Options, if either are suggested or required, don't recognize the mouse, or cannot control or modify some of its actions properly which is a nasty feature of a lot of Logitech's cheaper mice. Basic Mouse functions will normally work with a Mac.

My experience is contra. I've found that Logitech's cheapest mice work perfectly with the Mac for all of the basic/usual features, with the addition of no extra software whatsoever.

If you add whatever software Logitech suggests that you download for free from their Web site, their software works perfectly to add all of the advertised extended features and then some.

I HAVE found that it's easy to download the wrong software and be disappointed until you download the correct software. For instance, my older Logitech M310 mice took one version of the Logitech software, and my newer M310 mice take a different newer version, and the old version of the software does not work well with the newer mice, but the newer software works wonderfully.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you add whatever software Logitech suggests that you download for free from their Web site, their software works perfectly to add all of the advertised extended features and then some.

I HAVE found that it's easy to download the wrong software and be disappointed until you download the correct software.

I would tend to agree and I have had virtually no trouble with the Logitech mice I have used over the years and that has been a lot of years and several different models. I have been using their M705 USB wireless for years now that uses the Logitech Control Centre and just fairly recently I got an M720 USB wireless that uses the newer Logitech Options preference pane.

The Logitech mouse I had trouble with last year was their Logitech M325 Wireless Mouse model, that I just could not get it to be recognized and read somewhere that some features could not be used with a Mac so I just gave up like everything else except the small click wheel I think was the problem, worked as expected without using any customizing preference pain or control panel. Besides, it was for my nephew to use not me so not a major issue at all. 😏

BTY: I discovered that Logitech dropped the thumb switch button on their latest Logitech M705 Mouse model, maybe around June 2020, as well as some other small changes but kept the same model name:

https://www.reddit.com/r/logitech/comments/ppicqm
https://www.reddit.com/r/logitech/comments/nydchg
Up until then, it was one of the best mice I have ever used and the batteries last almost three years/

I also have found that the original Logitech M705 Mouse with its USB wireless dongle and Logitech Control Panel preference pane has been more reliable than the required Logitech Options preference pane the M720 requires, but maybe that is because I am using it with Mac OS Mavericks 10.9.5 and a mid-2011 27" iMac.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
A month ago my iMac (27" mid year 2011) slowed to a crawl, then wouldn't reboot, so I suspected a failed hard drive. I took it in to a shop and they replaced the mechanical drive with a SSD, but it also died about two weeks later.

They replaced it at no charge, thanks very much, but since then something weird is happening. The mouse is acting funny. Only rarely can I select text to cut it and write something new. I have to delete it one character at a time. Resizing a window is sometimes impossible. I can grab the lower right corner and drag, changing the size a 1/4" or so, but then it lets go, and starts selecting text in the window. Also, I now usually have to click twice on something to get the action where a single click would have worked before. And opening to reply to an email it goes full screen.

Can any of this be related to my SSD? Are there any settings I should reset and set again? I changed the double click speed to very fast, then to medium, no help.
The mouse works on my 2007 iMac. The mouse for that machine no longer works so I can't try it on my 2011.
I am also facing the same issue,

Last edited:
Reaction score

currently, I can drag by "shift+right click and hold", whereas "right-click (and hold)" just brings up the right-click context menu. Is there a way to set the "right-click and hold" (without pressing "shift") to "drag"? This would bring Inkscape in line with miro.com (where there isn't an option to change keyboard etc) and thus keep my controls consistent across the two apps. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there a way to set the "right-click and hold" (without pressing "shift") to "drag"?

As Randy mentioned, You need to supply us with some more information such as the brand and model of mouse and any specific software and the Mac model and Mac OS version.

Logitech mice usually have compatible Mac software you can use to change the button behaviors.

If that is not enough, there are third-party mouse Utilities you could try such as SteerMouse.app and maybe some others, start here:

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
I am also facing the same issue,
Many users reported that they managed to solve left mouse button drag problems simply by pressing the Esc key. This is an unusual solution, but it works according to users. If your mouse won't drag, simply press the Esc key and the problem should be resolved.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If your mouse won't drag, simply press the Esc key and the problem should be resolved.

I just thought I should mention that doing so on my 20 11 27" iMac running Mavericks 10.9.5 and a Logitech M705 mouse using LCC system preference and pressing and holding the Esc key does absolutely nothing.

Those having such success must have a different setup or mouse I guess. ;-)
I just thought I should mention the fact that the suggestion may not work.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
You can download free software for your Logitech mouse that will allow you to set expanded capabilities beyond what is built-in to the Mac OS, and to fine tune the functioning of your mouse. It may take some trial and error to find the perfect settings, but it is worth it. You have to download the version of the software specific for your model of Logitech mouse. Since you didn't give me the exact model of mouse that you are using, I can't give you a direct like to the perfect version. See:

https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/a...t-software-for-my-Logitech-mouse-and-keyboard

https://support.logi.com/hc/en-us/categories/360001764453-Mice-and-Pointers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.