mouse doesn't work for disk utility boot

Reaction score
My mac froze today and I had to force shut it down. Now I can't get it to boot, it gets to the end of the load bar and shows a blank screen with an X. I was informed to restart it while holding command R to get to disk utility and then run first aid. I have successfully made it to the disk utility screen but it is very slow and my mouse doesn't work. Using tab and the arrow keys I am able to get to the second screen but I cannot use tab to get to the first aid button. Any help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Too hard without precise Mac, then the model then the operating system.

Either it is nold, has had a logic board failure or if a newer model a hard drive failure is possible.

OP
F
Reaction score
Too hard without precise Mac, then the model then the operating system.

Either it is nold, has had a logic board failure or if a newer model a hard drive failure is possible.

I think it is a 2009 macbook pro 13" with High Sierra

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
As Harry suggested...the slowness could be the hard drive failing...and/or the hard drive could be almost full or full.

The Recovery Partition (the place that the Command + R takes you)...is a separate partition from the hard drives main partition (the "normal" working area). When Disk Utility in the Recovery Partition tries to do something with the main partition...this is when the trouble & slowness starts. I'm guessing hard drive failing issue...or hard drive practically full or full.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.