Mounting an External Hard Drive

Reaction score
I just purchased an external hard drive that says its Mac compatible. I have it connected to my mac via USB. I can see the drive in Disc Utility, but it will not mount, verify, repair, or anything. I am a relatively new mac user and I'm using 10.4.11.

Its trying to verify some MS-DOS thing that came on the hard drive. I know this isn't right.

I can usually figure this stuff out, but this one has me stumped.

Please help!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Who is the maker of the hard drive? If Disk Utility can see the drive but refuses to verify or repair it, it may be formatted as NTFS or it may be a bare drive with no format. If it's a bare drive it will have to be formatted first before it will mount.

Regards.

OP
C
Reaction score
it is a cirago 750G

it won't erase, repair, verify, or anything. It has a MS-DOS volume on it and it wont erase that?

I'm so confused

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If Disk Utility refuses to erase the drive and the drive has a MS-DOS partition on it, the drive may be defective. The MS-DOS partition is very likely a large FAT-32 partition which is unusual. I would have thought a drive that large would have come formatted as NTFS from the factory.

Where did you buy the drive at? If you can return it, buy a different brand of drive. I don't know anything about Cirago drives but it looks like they're not rated very well. Buy a Western Digital, Seagate, or another popular brand that is known to work with OS X.

Regards.

OP
C
Reaction score
thanks for your help. i bought it on amazon. this is so ridiculous. do you think it would help if i connected it to a PC first?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.