more HD space

Reaction score
can i upgrade my 27" iMac (late 2012) to have more hard drive space. It's a 1TB, and I'm getting close to capacity

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
can i upgrade my 27" iMac (late 2012) to have more hard drive space. It's a 1TB, and I'm getting close to capacity

I'm glad you fixed that spelling error…I was "yucking it up" on my end!;)

Upgrading the hard drive in a 2012 27" iMac is very difficult (and thus expensive to have it done). Instead…why not keep things simple…and use an external HD to off-load infrequently used items to free up space on the iMac's internal drive.

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes, that's what I'm doing at the moment, Nick, but I thought that maybe there was a tidier solution. thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
A 1tb drive is actually a fairly large size drive. What do you have it full of?

Unless you are a professional and work day to day with a lot of large files…I'm betting that it's full of a lot of stuff you hardly ever use…and moving some of it to an external drive would free up a lot of space. Hard drive space management is something many folks don't think of very often…until the drive gets near full. And a drive that's more than 80% full…can start to cause performance issues.

With older iMacs…upgrading the hard drive was easier. But with 2012 & newer iMac's…doing this is MUCH harder. The display glass is literally glued/adhered to the iMac body…making things much more difficult. With previous iMac's…the display glass was held in place with magnets…and MUCH easier to remove. Plus…even when the display glass is removed…the hard drive is buried inside.

Going the external route has multiple positives:

- much less expensive than upgrading the internal HD
- makes a person think more about hard drive space management (kind of like doing some "Spring Cleaning");)

I should also mention that I sure hope you have a backup of everything. If not…you're going to be VERY unhappy if the iMac's internal HD fails/crashes!

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.