Monterey and Nk Collection 2

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Mac Studio - Monterey -- and find that Nik Collection 2 won't install.
I got a reply from Nik saying that Collection 2 is incompatible with Monterey. (and suggesting I purchase Collection 5 !!!) .
However, a friend is running Monterey on an imac and Nik Collection 1/2 is working - and he was informed that the installer is the problem.
Any Ideas on how I can get it to work? Is there a work-around?
I'm attaching what I was told by Nik,

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-19 at 18.18.31.png
    Screenshot 2022-08-19 at 18.18.31.png
    417.5 KB · Views: 2

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
If the installer is the problem, that means that your friend already had the application installed pre-Big Sur/Monterrey and then upgraded to the newer OS and the application continues to work.

This isn't possible in your case since you can't take your Mac Studio back to anything other than what it came with.

Most Mac apps are installed by dragging them to the Applications folder, so this isn't a big deal. But, if an application has a real installer that does anything more, then you're stuck based on what they are saying.

It looks like Nik Collection 3 added support for Big Sur and 4 added support for Monterrey that's maintained in 5.

It sounds like the company has deemed 2 obsolete and won't update it. Since you already own some version of this package, you'll be upgrading which should be cheaper than purchasing for the first time and that's likely your only easy option right now.

Also note that this collection doesn't support M1 natively, so it's an x86 application that's being run through Rosetta 2, while this should be fine, just FYI.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply this makes sense! Unfortunately it looks like I may have to purchase the Collection 5 rather than upgrading - I will check this however. I tried installing Rosetta 2 - but made no difference...

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I know some vendors will allow you to upgrade from the previous version to current, but if you have a version older than just one, they force a purchase. Another reason to keep upgrading vital tools that are important for workflows.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies - I will see if I can manage without Nik - but probably will purchase as I had several recipes set up that I used frequently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
If the installer is the problem, that means that your friend already had the application installed pre-Big Sur/Monterrey and then upgraded to the newer OS and the application continues to work.

This isn't possible in your case since you can't take your Mac Studio back to anything other than what it came with.

Could not this be a job for Pacifist.app and use it to "install" or whatever the proper word should be, to get the needed application software installed and working???:

- Patrick
=======

OP
A
Reaction score
Will research what Pacifist.app is - thanks.
Downloaded pacific.app - can get no further than before. It extracts Nik Collection - which I could do before. Gets me to installer - which exits as before. I'm probably using Pacific incorrectly...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It extracts Nik Collection - which I could do before. Gets me to installer - which exits as before. I'm probably using Pacific incorrectly...

That's hard to say, as I just did some Google searching on "Nik Collection" and "Nik Software" and it seems like it's a bit of an oddball as far as software goes and how it operates.

Anyway I hope you can eventually get it or something working properly for you or maybe something equivalent that works a bit more normally unless I was misunderstanding some of what I was reading. A good possibility... ;-)

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.