Monitor won't wake up.

Reaction score
I just bought a new M1 Mac Mini and a beautiful 27" LG Ultrafine monitor. Everything is great except that I keep running into my monitor not always waking up. It usually happens after the Mac has been asleep for a long time like during the night or while I'm at work. Nothing works except shutting down by holding down the power button and starting up again which I'd rather not have to do on a regular basis. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, have you found a solution? Thanks in advance.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The next time this happens, unplug the cable from either the Mac Mini or monitor (whichever is easily accessible) which should get you the "No source" indication on the monitor, now plug the cable back in and see if the monitor wakes up.

Depending on what type of cable/connector you are using between the mini and the LG, that's likely the culprit. You'll want to try another cable.

I had this issue back with my iMac and external monitor. The external monitor would not wake up with my iMac, until I found the right cable that did the trick.

On my current Mac Studio and 2 Viewsonic displays, I'm using HDMI and DP->USB-C cables and both the monitors wake up without issue.

thomahawk

Reaction score
I had this too sometimes with my MacMini 2018 and Mojave. Mostly after startup or restart. The only solution was to detach the hdmi cable and plug it in again.

OP
D
Reaction score
I had this too sometimes with my MacMini 2018 and Mojave. Mostly after startup or restart. The only solution was to detach the hdmi cable and plug it in again.
Thanks for the reply. I'm using a Thundebolt cable and unplugging it does nothing. But I think I've found a solution. I have hot corners on my monitor for screen saver and sleep mode. When I put it to sleep using the hot corner instead of the apple menu, it wakes up every time. No idea why that makes a difference.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Can you turn the monitor off then back on? And that doesn't fix the issue?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.