Monitor questions

C

CaptainStandish

Im looking into getting a good lcd with my g5. Since I'm going to be using this comp for various things, gaming included, I want an lcd with some good response times. I know the sony lcd's are supposed to be of high quality and have some great specs, but I cannot find specs on the response rates for the 17" anywhere. Even so, if I do get the sony monitor will there be any cables I'll have to purchase to connect it to the g5?

Sorry if my question seems incoherant - It's about 5 am here and World of Warcraft beta just came out.

OP
W

WilliS

is the sony vga? it needs to be DVI or ADC to work with the G5 video card...

if you look at the back of your g5, you have 2 ports coming out of your video card, granted that you have the ATI radeon 9600 or better

the longer port is ADC and is used for the display apple makes (has video / power / usb.. all built into the one plug.

the other one is DVI.. and im suspecting most good LCD's will be DVI

if it isnt, you will need a VGA to DVI converter....

blast, did you get an email for wow beta?... i figured having a dual g5 would get me in easy lol... oh well...maybe ill get into the next section of beta :(

OP
W

Wapa18

DualG5Lova said:
is the sony vga? it needs to be DVI or ADC to work with the G5 video card...

if it isnt, you will need a VGA to DVI converter....

even if it is VGA, the power mac towers all come with DVI to VGA adapters in the box.

OP
C

CaptainStandish

Well I didn't actually get my tower yet, but I'm looking at monitors before it arrives. The adapter that comes in the box, is that the $100 one? I must have over looked that when configuring my setup.

Well it looks like the Sony doesn't have DVI input connectors (does this mean there is no DVI input on the monitor itself or just no connectors?) I'm looking at a Hitachi aslo, got amazing reviews and has all the specs I want and is DVI.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-134-035&depa=0

That's the monitor in case anybody was interested and wants to comment.

Well actually I didn't get into beta myself :( :( :( but my friend got an e-mail and was watching him play. I havn't gone to sleep since my last post and my heart feels like it's going to fall out of my chest, so I'm gonna go hit the sack.

Thanks for your help guys!

OP
W

WilliS

the $100 is the ADC to DVI adapter... to allow your apple flat panel monitor to connect to dvi video card

the one that it comes with is like $20 if you buy an extra... but it has one i believe

if sony doesnt have dvi, that means that the cord coming off the monitor is not a dvi format cord....so you will need an adapter from your video card to the cord

OP
C

CaptainStandish

DualG5Lova said:
the $100 is the ADC to DVI adapter... to allow your apple flat panel monitor to connect to dvi video card

the one that it comes with is like $20 if you buy an extra... but it has one i believe

if sony doesnt have dvi, that means that the cord coming off the monitor is not a dvi format cord....so you will need an adapter from your video card to the cord

If i'm not getting the apple display and I go with that hitachi, I won't need the adapter right, because it's already DVI etc...

sorry, my brain is all over the place, i really need to get some sleep

OP
W

WilliS

yep... if you go with that monitor, and it has DVI output, than your G5 will have a connecter for the monitor to plug into

if you go with the sony which is VGA, your G5 will come with an adapter to plug onto the end of the monitor, which allows you to use that monitor in a DVI port

if you get an apple display, it will have an ADC end on it....and your G5 will have a port for that as well...

if you get the apple display, and want to attach it to a computer with only dvi or vga, thats when you need the $100 adapter

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.