Monitor flickers at startup, then fine, just started

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro/MacBook Pro
I have a MacPro 3 GHz Dual Core Intel, OSX 10.5.4, SMC version 1.7f10, Boot ROM Version MP11.005C.B08; ATY, RadeonX1900 (Hope this is a hardware issue)

Owned it for about nine months, working fine; normal shutdown, powered up and obtained substantial monitor flicker before starting; turned off and performed the reset for the SMC, it started fine, but when I powered it off again and restarted, I received substantial monitor flicker until it got to the blue screen. Logged in and the monitor and the computer works fine. I have had power spike issues at the house.

Any recommendations or thoughts? Is the video card getting ready to go out?

Earl

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Firstly open her up, do a clean for dust and make sure the card is seated really firmly and tightly.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with harry. Re-seat the video card or move it to another open slot. Power surges occurring often enough can cause damage to components. I have had that happen with various cards in my PC. If you're in an area susceptible to power surges, it's best to buy and use a good UPS with built in surge protection.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I have a MacPro ... ATY, RadeonX1900 (Hope this is a hardware issue) Any recommendations or thoughts? Is the video card getting ready to go out?

What type of monitor - CRT or flat panel; and how old? If the former type, it may be a faulty tube which settles down once warm. In addition to the video card check and cleanup mentioned, check the cable connections.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.