Mom's New iMac Height Adjustment

Reaction score
I need to replace an 09 Mac in home location. The built-in cabinet above the desk top is 17" above. Is there any way to lower the Imac below its 17.7" height?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
They are not height adjustable. Also they tend to need a lot of air circulation and will get hot if in a restricted area.

You could consider a mac mini and purchase a monitor that fits the 17" area.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I need to replace an 09 Mac in home location. The built-in cabinet above the desk top is 17" above. Is there any way to lower the Imac below its 17.7" height?

Hi Lextiger - not sure how much computer power your mother needs, but might help us w/ more specific suggestions; Lisa provided an excellent solution; of course, another would be to purchase an Apple laptop - a larger Macbook Pro would likely be satisfactory (and portable, if needed).

The only other thought (i.e. other than buying some new furniture - ;)), would be to explore whether 'wall mounts' are available for the newest iMacs (see these Amazon Offerings - which appear to be for older iMac models) - you might want to go to Apple online and do a 'live chat' to even see if an iMac can be ordered that would adapt to a wall mount. NOW, being an amateur woodworker & home DIY, I bet that it would be a real PAIN trying to install such a mount w/i a small cabinet.

Let us know if you need more specific advice - Dave :)

Last edited:

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
They are not vesa compliant, but this company makes an adapter.

Put an eye hook in the back of the cabinet, put the iMac in the hole pushed backed as far as it will go and use a zip tie to keep it in place. Might cost you a dollar. I'm guessing the screen would sit between 1/2" to 1" in front of the face of the cabinet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.