Mojave upgrade not recognized in Apple Shop

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just upgraded from OS X Mavericks 10.9.5 to OS Mojave 10.14.6. I did this so that I could download Microsoft Remote Desktop from the Mac App store. I cannot download this and I get a message saying 0S X 10.12 or later is required.

Thanks in advance for any advice as to how to solve this problem.

Ruairi

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Have you restarted the computer?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

It sounds like your upgrade from Mavericks to Mojave may not have worked. When you click on the Apple menu and then click on "About this Mac", what does it say?

Also, the upgrade to Mojave will have reformatted your hard drive or SSD to the new Apple format - APFS.

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for your reply (chscag)

I did notice that "About this Mac" only shows my original OS, 10.9.5. I assume that means the upgrade has not worked? Should I try El Capitan, if an upgrade to a less advanced OS might work better?

Ruairi

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Ruairi,

Before embarking on another OS Download, may I ask you, please, if you would check to see what current Filing System or Format your Mac's Internal Hard Drive is? I ask because even if the Mojave update was unsuccessful, it may have reformatted your Drive from Mac OS X Extended (Journaled) to APFS.

In order to run El Capitan, it would need to be Mac OS X Extended (Journaled).

To answer the question, Open Disk Utility (DU) (found in Finder > Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility).

After opening DU, allow it a few moments to assess the Mac's Drive and any attached External Hard Drives. Now look to your left and your Click on Macintosh HD. Over to the right, under the Macintosh HD icon & heading, it will tell you how that is formatted.

If it is still Mac OS X Extended (Journaled), then an upgrade to El Capitan is possible.

This Link will take you to the latest info from Apple Support on how to do this. Read this carefully. About half way down the page, under 4, you will see a link to the El Capitan site - as it says, "A file named InstallMacOSX.dmg will download to your Mac."

How to upgrade to OS X El Capitan – Apple Support

Should it turn out that your Mac's HD is formatted APFS, then come back to us because we will have to change things before you can proceed with El Capitan.

Ian

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi Ian,

Thanks for your detailed reply.

Before trying another download, Disk Utility said Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled). I tried another download, of El Capitan, and now Disk Utility says Format:Mac OS Extended.

However, 'About This Mac' still says Version 10.9.5. And the problem with my OS, an inability to download certain programmes, does not seem to have been solved.
The computer is a MacBook Air 13-inch, Mid 2013 and according to the Apple site can be upgraded. But it's proving so far to be resistant to that. Perhaps the hard drive is damaged in some way?

Thanks for your help so far, and any additional suggestions appreciated.

Ruairi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Look in your Applications folder, you should have both installers if they were downloaded listed as Install OS X El Capitan or Install macOS Mojave. Then you will have the choice of which you want to install.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you to everyone for your advice.

I downloaded and re-installed upgrades of my OS many times without success. For no clear reason, El Capitan has now succesfully installed.

Ruairi

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

I downloaded and re-installed upgrades of my OS many times without success. For no clear reason, El Capitan has now succesfully installed.

Ruairi

I gather Mac OSX El Capitan is now installed and working properly for you on your Mac. If it hasn't done so already and asked you, you might want to check with your Software Update and see if there's anything additional to add such as some Security Update stuff.

- Patrick
======

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor

Ruairi

Bravo. Well done. Enjoy.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.