Model Battery

Reaction score
Hi, i need to replace my battery in my MBA. I've tried searching online to find out what model battery i need etc, but i can't seem to locate which battery i need to buy.

Does anyone know how to tell what battery your MBA needs? Thanks in advance for your help.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If you tell us what EXACT model MBA it is…we may be able to help.:)

- Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks Nick.

From the about screen:

Processor: 1.7 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 4GB 1333 MHz DDR3

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That narrows things down a lot. Need to know if it's an 11" or 13" display.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
While I do a little research…here's another question. This is a Mid-2011 model MBA.

You must REALLY use this MBA on battery power quite a bit. Are you sure you need a new battery?…what's the issue? Just curious.:) Don't want you to get a new battery if you don't need one.:)

- Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
It's about 3 years old.

I'm on my MBA on average 14 hours a day, and it's plugged in for 90% of that time.

It got to a stage recently where i was only getting 10 minutes on battery (after a full charge), however when i restarted the MBA it brought it back to it's now usual 40 minutes (after a full charge). This was due to the fact that i was running a very heavy 3D graphics software package.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm on my MBA on average 14 hours a day, and it's plugged in for 90% of that time.

This is confusing. If the computer is plugged in 90% of the time (while being used 14 hours/day)..it shouldn't need a new battery. In fact the battery should almost be like new.

The runtime numbers you mentioned do indicate that a new battery is needed. But the reason is why if it's plugged in so much?? If you get a new battery...it may not last very long either...depending what's going on.

- Nick

p.s. Sorry...I did some editing of my post.

OP
O
Reaction score
I only get about 40 minutes on battery now. So my calculations are a little wrong :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I only get about 40 minutes on battery now. So my calculations are a little wrong :)

That's only a small difference in the big picture.;) When new...your MacBook Air (if doing average computer tasks)...should last 7 hours (420 minutes).

Again...it is very unusual for a 3-4 year old MBA to need a new battery if it is plugged in for 90% of the time that it is being used. Just don't want you getting another battery...and it not lasting long.

Feel free to share what's going on.:) Otherwise you have the replacement battery info you needed.:)

- Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
Sorry, what do you mean 'what is going on' :)

I'm now only getting 40 minutes battery life, compared to the 7 hours that i should be getting :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, what do you mean 'what is going on' :)

I'm now only getting 40 minutes battery life, compared to the 7 hours that i should be getting :)

I explained things above.:)

A MacBook Air (or any Apple notebook computer from the last 5+ years)...if it is plugged in 90% of the time when it is used (you mentoned 14 hours/day)...should not need a new battery.

Given this information...at least three possibilities exist:

1. This MacBook Air has problems.
2. The battery is defective in some way.
3. The statement that the computer is plugged in 90% of the time when it is used...is very very very incorrect!

Why? The battery in newer (last 5+ years) Apple notebooks are good for 1000 charge/discharge cycles. A charge/discharge cycle is equal to one complete battery discharge (100% to 0% battery power). Or two battery discharges to 50% power (then recharged)...etc.

And...when the battery gets to a total of 1000 charge/discharge cycles...it is still supposed to have 80% of it's original runtime. So if this MBA originally should have gotten 7 hours of runtime from the battery on a full charge. At 1000 charge/discharge cycles...it should still get 80% of 7 hours...or around 5.5 hours.

For a MacBook Air that was originally supposed to get 7 hours of runtime on a fully charged battery...and now only gets 40 minutes of runtime on a full battery. Must have:

- Many many many more then 1000 charge/discharge cycles on the battery.
- Must have a defective battery.
- Something is wrong with the computer.
- Or the statement that the "computer is plugged in 90% of the time when it is used" cannot be accurate.

* Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
Thanks Nick, your help is much appreciated.

OFFICE (10 hours)

- When i arrive at my office at 08:00 each morning, i plugin my laptop and turn it on.

- I then turn it off at 18:00 and unplug it, which totals to 10 hours plugged in (so far).

HOME (4 hours)

- When i get home i usually plug it in again after dinner at 19:00 and turn it on.

- I might occasionally move to the couch for 30 minutes (running on battery), and i then turn it off at 23:00.

TOTAL = 14 hours plugged in (with a max of 40 minutes on battery (as that's all i can get out of it))

It's constantly plugged in all day Sat and all day Sun too.

I'd say i have surpassed the 1000 full charges as i was using it a lot on battery at the start and then charing it full again mid day, and then charing it full again etc...

Anyway... :)

I need a new battery, as i want to get my 7 hours back :)

Can you suggest:

A - how i can find out which battery model / part i need

B - a reputable source for obtaining the battery

Thanks again for all of your help with this Nick, it's much appreciated.

C

chas_m

I think we can safely conclude that he either burned through his cycles early on OR the battery has become defective. In either case it's not worth fussing about, just get a new one.

You're wise, oo7ml, to ask for a reputable source for a battery, there are lots of batteries out there that might work with your machine, but are knock-offs that compromise the safety features -- NOT a good idea! -- so that they can be priced to sucker the cheapskates.

I've seen some well-regarded batteries from third-parties on Amazon, but you can sort of tell why they're well-regarded -- their batteries START at about ¾ the price of Apple's own replacement batteries.

So I can only really recommend one of two sources (other than Powerbook Medic mentioned earlier):

1. Apple
2. NewerTechnology replacement batteries (incredibly high standard) -- available from macsales.com. They are only marginally cheaper than the Apple ones but are actually higher-capacity and built to the same standards.

OP
O
Reaction score
Cool, thanks chas_m.

I'll get one from Apple. I presume there are several different types of batteries for all the various MBA released over the last few years.

How can i pin point which one i need?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I need a new battery, as i want to get my 7 hours back :)

Can you suggest:

A - how i can find out which battery model / part i need

B - a reputable source for obtaining the battery

One thing hasn't been asked yet. I don't know your computer repair expertise level. But are you the person who's going to replace the battery? Because in case you didn't know…the battery in your MacBook Pro is technically not a user replaceable part.

In other words…you need to open your computer with a screwdriver…and do some connecting/disconnecting of things inside. It's not as simple as changing the batteries in a flashlight. It's not really super difficult either…but it may not be something everyone is comfortable with.

The reason why I'm asking is. If you're not comfortable doing this…asking the question "Which battery does my MacBook Air need?" is really not the correct question. Unless you're buying the battery to have someone else install (friend, relative, coworker, etc.). And if this is not the case either…then the question isn't which battery does my MBA need…the question is…"How far is it to the nearest Apple Store to have a new battery installed?";)

On the other hand. If you're comfortable installing a new battery…then asking "What battery does my MBA need?"…was the perfect question!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'll get one from Apple. I presume there are several different types of batteries for all the various MBA released over the last few years.

Apple probably won't sell you a battery. Apple doesn't sell parts to individual customers.

How can i pin point which one i need?

I told you MUCH earlier in the thread what battery you need.;)

- Nick

OP
O
Reaction score
Yeah i'll fit it myself... i've built many computers over the years so i am sure it is something i can do myself... i've read that there is 19 screws to undo etc...

Thanks for your help Nick... i actually missed that post about the model :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah i'll fit it myself... i've built many computers over the years so i am sure it is something i can do myself... i've read that there is 19 screws to undo etc...

Ok good deal!:) Sometimes we discuss things like this in a thread…just to find out the person asking the question isn't able to do the work themselves. So great you will be doing things yourself.:)

Your options:

- Not Apple. They won't sell you a battery.
- Not OWC (macsales.com). They don't sell a battery for your MBA.
- Powerbookmedic.com (Yes)…info I posted earlier in the thread.
- eBay (Yes)…but be careful what you buy. You sort of get what you pay for.
- Another internet store (Yes).

* Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.