Mobile power adapter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini, 13" MBP, G5 PPC, G4 PPC G4 eMac
Are there any 12V to Macbook power adapters out there?
I have one for my Acer laptop which is basically a DC-DC coverter, but alas there are no connectors to connect to a Macbook, only PC laptops.

We spend a lot of time away in our motorhome very often without mains power. Our laptop happily runs on our converter, even though it's not a very efficient device.
Is there a similar unit for Macs?

Before we buy a Macbook we'll need to know that we can use it in the van

Is there a similar device for the Mini? ... I've always fancied installing a mini in the Van as a permanent fixture.

TIA

Darren

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
What you are looking for is a power inverter . Its a device that plugs into a car power jack and turns the auto's dc to 110 ac that you plug your computer into. I have several but as its snowing outside again and I dont want to get all bundled up to check which brands I have ( yes i am old and lazy) here is a quick google search to get you started.

power inverter to use a laptop in a car - Google Search

Hope this helps
Clay

OP
dazcaz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've used inverters in the past, and the modified sine wave version cause havoc with power supplies and other inductive and switch mode devices. Being a squarewave output and not a nice sine wave they are quite noisy (electrically) and nasty. My windows laptop PSU get very hot when running it off an inverter. Pure sinewave inverters are serious money. I would love one, but costs are prohibitive.
MSW inverters have their place, and I use them regularly, but I don't want to risk the mains block going U/S thanks to the inverter.
The windows laptop runs off the DC-DC converter much nicer. These things also chop the waveform up, but as they put out DC it's not a problem for the laptop. All (most of) the nasty stuff is removed/smoothed out before it gets to the computer.

I will look out for a small PSW inverter if nothing else is available.

Reaction score
Thanks for starting this thread! I'm also looking for a mobile power adapter to power my 17" MacBook Pro for an upcoming trip. The Apple Store carries a Kensington ($69.95); reviews commented on the loud fan noise. Also, Best Buy has several by CyberPower (I'm considering model CPU150CHU $59.99).

I'm concerned that my laptop will become over heated or a power surge will ruin it. Does anyone know about the safety of using such an adapter? Are there any recommendations, such as don't use for longer than __ # of hours? I'm thinking that it might not be worth it if it may cause problems with my computer and maybe I should just enjoy the scenery or read a book for the trip.
Thanks for any input!
Mel

OP
dazcaz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After months of waiting for the right computer at the right price, I have finally ordered a 13" Macbook Pro. 2.4.GHz, 4GB, 250GB HD.

I'm still looking for an easy option to power the Pro from a motorhome 12V system.

I'm not too keen on spending 150 USD on a solution when the solution for a PC costs about 30 :)

I have seen cheap chinese things on e-Bay... Anyone used one? I'm always worried about cheap chinese solutions to problems but occasionally I am surprised by juts how good these cheap solutions can be.
Are these chinese things OK?
Any other ideas?

The Pro arrives in the morning and we are away in the motorhome the next evening. We do have a generator, but I'd rather not use the genny just to charge the Pro :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
The problem with Mac is you have to license the magsafe adapter which bumps up the price of everything. Hyperpower - you can get a battery and get a "free car charger" when you buy a larger battery.
HyperMac External MacBook Battery and Car Charger

Otherwise like you said it is $150. The battery is $300.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I have a buddy that plugs his charger into a cheap 100w cigarette lighter inverter and has no problems. He's been doing it for years. I also wouldn't worry about power surges too much. It is feasible that a power surge could damage your charger, but unlikely that it would pass through to your MB. Chargers are pretty good surge protectors on their own. Think about it--You're always warned to use surge protectors on expensive electronic equipment, but have you ever heard a warning about plugging your laptop directly into the outlet at Starbucks?

OP
dazcaz
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Magsafe might be a wonderous connector but it does cause problems... :)

As for the inverter, I have two inverters, one large one and a smaller one. Both more than man enough to run the MBP off. Having put my inverters on a 'scope and seen the waveform coming out the outlet, I worry about plugging in anything, let alone the PSU to a 1000 UKP computer :)
The other problem is that inverters are terribly inefficient, and when you have a limited battery capacity, every watt matters.

I'll use the inverter for now and see how we get along. With an up to 10 hour battery life I might not need to charge the battery that often :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.