Mobile Data

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
When I upgraded to an iPhone 4s I gave my 3gs to my wife who didn't have a smart phone. She complained that her pay-as-you-go balance was falling at an alarming rate and I discovered that mobile data was on. I turned it off which seems to have solved the problem.

There seems to be no equivalent on the 4s.

I don't understand how or why my wife's account incurred these unsolicited charges and I want to be sure that the same thing isn't happening on my iPhone.

Reaction score
When you receive updates emails on you provider they incur data usage or mobile data plan. I have this with my Nokia Windows 620 on O2 My allowance provides me with unlimited text 150 talk and 500 mb data for 10 pounds a month. If I am receiving emails from anywhere the data drops as with internet usage or downloading updates unless using MIFI as an external usage. Check you data plan as 4G eats a lot of data quickly.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
When you receive updates emails on you provider they incur data usage or mobile data plan. I have this with my Nokia Windows 620 on O2 My allowance provides me with unlimited text 150 talk and 500 mb data for 10 pounds a month. If I am receiving emails from anywhere the data drops as with internet usage or downloading updates unless using MIFI as an external usage. Check you data plan as 4G eats a lot of data quickly.

Thanks. Presumably this means that, without realising it, my wife was receiving e-mail automatically when away from home when they would automatically have been received via Wifi.

I have re-read the manuals for both iPhones and now realise that the default is to use 3g/4g if there's no wifi connection. The first thing I did when I got my iPhone 4s was turn of 'Cellular'. I've turned off 'Mobile Data', which seems be the equivalent of 'Cellular' on the 3gs, now.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.