Missing play button

Reaction score
I have recently been missing my play button on Preview Icons for music on my desktop. Arrows still appear for PDFs. Play buttons still appear on another account on the same computer. I run a macbook Pro (2015) running Catalina.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I am probably not understanding your question properly but is this what you might be after???:

Adding a play symbol to an image (video preview button)
YouTube

Add video play button to image
YouTube

- Patrick
======

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Patrick,

The OP is talking about the following. With audio files, hover over it to get a Play icon and play it directly in Finder without opening it another application if the format is supported.
Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 6.31.17 PM.png

For PDFs, you get this right and left arrow to scroll through it. Of course, in my case it's too small to read anything. :)
Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 6.31.30 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The OP is talking about the following. With audio files, hover over it to get a Play icon and play it directly in Finder without opening it another application if the format is supported.

Thanks Ashwin,

What Mac OS version did that start in???

I obviously have no idea how the OP gets the arrow to display the way they want to.

Is there an option somewhere that needs to be enabled???

- Patrick
======

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure what version it started with, but I think it's been there for a while, you just need to hover over the appropriate file type to get the right icons. I don't believe it is a setting you have to enable, "it just works". :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not sure what version it started with, but I think it's been there for a while, you just need to hover over the appropriate file type to get the right icons. I don't believe it is a setting you have to enable, "it just works". :)

Son of a gun!!!

Darned if that arrow isn't showing up and works when I put my mouse pointer over an appropriate file, but it must be showing in icon view which I don't generally use.

I don't think I would have ever noticed, but it's sure is there, even in Mac OS 10.9.5 Mavericks. :Smirk:

Thanks Ashwin.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now I definitely question having this icon view since anything other than pure audio is hard to see. You can actually play videos in that form factor, more of a fun factor than usable. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now I definitely question having this icon view since anything other than pure audio is hard to see. You can actually play videos in that form factor, more of a fun factor than usable. :)

Yeah, more of a unique video feature rather than something actually usable or maybe it was for those users in Lilliput Land.

In case it helps the OP's query if I drag a file that shows the arrow when in icon view in a folder onto my Desktop, The play arrow will no longer show when the file is on my desktop.

Maybe it's a feature that only works for when in the folder icon view only???

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
If you select a file in Finder, while in column view, you will also get the arrow/play buttons option.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Reaction score
I have recently been missing my play button on Preview Icons for music on my desktop. Arrows still appear for PDFs. Play buttons still appear on another account on the same computer. I run a macbook Pro (2015) running Catalina.

Any suggestions?

I'm assuming you've already tried rebooting?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm assuming you've already tried rebooting?

There doesn't seem to be too much sign of the OP since they became a member two days ago and just did a single post.

Maybe it's working now???

- Patrick
======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
So far I have only found one situation where that button helps with video: If I have a video and it won't start playing th is way I check the file to see if it's corrupted. I have found QuickView (select icon tap spacebar) more useful than this though.

Reaction score
So far I have only found one situation where that button helps with video: If I have a video and it won't start playing th is way I check the file to see if it's corrupted. I have found QuickView (select icon tap spacebar) more useful than this though.

I agree. Hitting space bar is easier/faster than a precise mouse-click on the play button.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have found QuickView (select icon tap spacebar) more useful than this though.

+1!!! I agree completely.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.