Missing App Store Icon

Reaction score
Just installed iOS 8.1.2 on my iPhone 4S, and now my App Store Icon is missing. How do I get it back?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you sure it's not being obscured by another icon? Attach your iPhone to your Mac and open iTunes. Click on Apps and wait until it builds the display for page 1 and 2. You can move the icons around in iTunes to see if the App Store icon is hiding or it's on another page.

By the way, it might not have been a good idea to update your 4S to iOS 8. Some folks have reported excessive battery use and slowdowns using iOS 8 on a 4S.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks, I tried your suggestion, and the App Store icon does not appear anywhere on the screen full of apps. And although the screen said I could drag the apps around, I was unable to do so.
By the way, apps like Phone, Mail and Safari also do not appear on the computer, though they do appear on the iPhone itself. Does that mean I have to reinstall the OS? And, if so, how do I do that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
I have an iphone 4s updated to ios 8.1.2 no problem at all. Changed the battery and it works like new.
You have to use the usb cable from iphone to mac and restore via itune should get it done. Just keep in mind always updated via itune,

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks to all for trying, but I found the answer elsewhere. In settings> general> restrictions, "installing apps" was not allowed. I just switched it on, and the App Store icon appeared in my iPhone screen. Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.