Minecraft Problem!

Reaction score
So, I have a 2009 IMAC 21.5in 8gb of ram. I recently want to start playing Minecraft on my IMAC so i did but I only get about 17+FPS I'v tried everything adding more ram to MC as well as installing mods even cleaning my computer files ect. I just really need help, I read online where someone had a 2008 IMAC 20in and they had only 2gb of ram and got 100+ FPS. I'v also tried playing around with my settings on Minecraft still 17+FPS.... Please HELP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Hi Kryptic_MC,

I have a young man I mentor who is a minecraft player. He actually runs his own dedicated game server just for minecraft now.

When he started playing the game he was using a white 2009 macbook which has 8GB of system memory and 256MG of shared DDR2 system memory. The computer struggled with low frame rates. He upgraded to a Windows based 11" Alienware Core2Duo with 8GB of memory and a video card with 1GB of dedicated memory which was better. Then he moved to a 15" Alienware, i7, 8GB mem, and a 2GB DDR3 dedicated video card memory. The 15" get amazing 100+ FPS rates. Why? The video card.

I say all that to tell you your problem is probably the video card memory. Your iMac had 256MB to 512MB of shared DDR3 memory? That is probably not enough. The larger your game screen size the more video memory it needs to move the graphics fast and smooth.

The only other thing that could also be adding to the problem is an over full hard drive and not enough swap room. You need approximately 10-20% of free space on your hard drive or SSD.

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am not sure. Some models the video card can be and other can not. Some iMac's have the video card chip soldered on to the logic board. I believe your model is an EMC 2308 model A1311 ????? I looked at ifixit to see if they had a guide to upgrade the card and they don't. Since you did not post the model, I am guessing here so feel free to wait on others to chime in and check out ifixit yourself.

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iMac_Intel

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I have done a bit of research since I will admit to having no familiarity with your model. What I am finding is it would be a huge under taking and I am not sure what you could upgrade to. Here is what I found:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2389+GPU+Card+Replacement/6272

If it were me and I wanted to play that game I would look to upgrading to a new beefier iMac.

Lisa

Edit: Thanks Craig!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So could I possibly upgrade my video card in the near future?

Most iMac's do not have an upgradeable video card (soldered onto the logic board).

And those that do have upgradeable video cards...the better video card is usually VERY expensive. Sometimes 50% or more of the value of the computer (depending on the age of the computer). AND...it may not even be much of a performance boost.

Like "iclev" mentioned...a newer better computer is the way to go.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Kryptic_MC,

If one of the videos that cradom (Craig) recommend works post back and let us know.

Lisa

OP
K
Reaction score
I don't really want to upgrade my IMAC just for Minecraft because i'v had this IMAC for 5 years now and it is still preforming like brand new! I might in the future but I would like to try my best to resolve the problem with out spending lots of money

Reaction score
None of those videos show how I did mine. (no longer relevant)
It had to do with replacing the 32bit Java stub in Minecraft with the 64bit one from the system Java.
Don't think that works now. Try the things in the vids. Who knows...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just don't know.......

The simple answer most likely is…this 2009 iMac doesn't have the graphics hardware to provide better than 17 frames/sec with Minecraft.

For a Minecraft frames/sec improvement…a more powerful computer is needed. And if there is no budget for a better computer…then you're stuck with 17 frames/sec at the moment.;)

Maybe with a bunch of holiday money + selling the 2009 iMac…will get you enough cash to purchase a newer/better iMac.:)

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
Yes I get that, but the thing I don't get is iv watched a few videos where people have like 2008 MacBooks and get like 50+ FPS that just one thing that pisses me off.... :/

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I get that, but the thing I don't get is iv watched a few videos where people have like 2008 MacBooks and get like 50+ FPS that just one thing that pisses me off.... :/

I think that we would need to know the exact specs of all computers involved (yours and the other computers getting 50fps)…so that we could investigate further…and try to come to some logical conclusions.

Just because a computer is older…does not always 100% mean that it cannot be "better" at some things than a newer computer.

Also. Some applications (games) may be written to be optimized for specific graphics hardware. For example…a game may be written to be better optimized for ATI graphics hardware than Radeon graphics hardware (or vice-versa).

- Nick

Reaction score
Um, Nick? Radeon is ATI.
I think we get the point though.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.