Milk Spilled On Macbook Pro 2012

Reaction score
Hi, I recently had an accident involving chocolate milk and a sleep deprived college student. Long story short, I spilled milk directly onto my keyboard as I fell asleep. I opened it up and saw that it had gone all the way through the entire computer and soaked everything. The best way I thought of going about this was soaking it in water for a while after removing the battery and then just letting it dry. Is this the best way to go about it? Or should I just go out and buy another laptop?
(I have built my own desktop and am savvy with computer terms (CS Major) )

http://i.imgur.com/v6DjwFd.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.5; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.5; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Keep the water and any more liquids away from it. Have a read of this sticky. Alas the damage may already be done as liquids of any form and electronics often = death! Fingers crossed:-

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...iquid-my-macbook-what-do-i-do-now-thread.html

Well Harry beat me to giving you our 'stickie' on liquid spills - you're probably out of luck but who knows and may take days to know - soaking the computer in water was definitely a no-no, and I hope you did not try to turn it on? Or, turned if off immediately?

At this point, try to get the liquid out of the computer and place in a large plastic sealable bag w/ silica gel packs (if not available, then dry white rice as another option) - leave for a number of days - remove and try to turn the machine on (and cannot say 'how many' days - the longer the better as a general rule) - good luck and let us know. Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Or should I just go out and buy another laptop?

Yes. After what you stated in your initial post, I don't think you stand a chance of ever getting that machine to work again without spending as much to repair it as a new machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.