Migration problems

Reaction score
Hello all

I posted a discussion that I can't find anywhere, so now I'm repeating it in a post.

I have a 2009 MBP and a new iMac that I got last night (not the one they just announced) I want to migrate everything, but I'm having some trouble.

I launched migration assistant in both Macs, and they were both recognised. Then the screen appeared that asks which data I want to transfer, it has 3 options. With all 3 ticked, it says the data is 170KB! I have no idea why it would say that. After I clicked next, it stops on it's own and logs me back into my iMac and I have to cancel the migration from the MBP manually.

I did this twice, and the same happened.

No new user was created, as it should when I have already created a user for myself when I first got it.

Any ideas what I can do?

Thanks in advance
Oz

C

chas_m

I'm very unclear on why you think you need to run the program on both machines. That simply isn't going to work.

As you've already set up your account on the new machine (not a good idea, we'll come back to that), fire up Migration Assistant ONLY on the new machine, and it will ask you if you have a backup, Time Machine or other computer you want to draw from. Connect it and follow the directions.

OP
E
Reaction score
Sorry, I might have not been clear when I explained. I connected it when prompted to connect the source Mac, isn't that how it works? I launched MA on my iMac then when asked, I did the same to the MBP and it recognised that I want to transfer my data from the MBP to the iMac. Did I do something wrong?

With regards to setting up the account, I didn't do it, my husband asked the guy at the shop to do it for me, I don't have anything on here that I would mind losing. After the new user is set up, can't I delete this one?

Thanks
Oz

OP
E
Reaction score
Here is an snapshot of the screen. I did everything correctly, as mentioned in the link you provided. The same still happens.

Have you come across this problem before?

Thanks
Oz

IMG_2279-01.JPG

C

chas_m

Hmmm. Are there any other user accounts other than your own on the old machine? Are you booted on the MBP into the same account you usually use(d)? Any chance the location of the User folder or Applications folder is not where it ought to be by default? Are you using FileVault on the MBP?

OP
E
Reaction score
I don't have any other user accounts, and I don't have FileVault. I've never played with any files or moved them, so they should be in the right places. I updated to the latest version of Mavericks, I thought it would make a difference, but it didn't.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.