Migration Assistant - One user and still no files

Reaction score
I bought a MacBook Air yesterday and used MA to attempt to transfer my files etc from my 2009 MacBook Pro (running Yosemite). I read posts of other folks who struggled with MA but the issue for them seemed to be having two users. I only have one. When I log out, there is one user and Guest to choose from to log back into. But I still cannot find my stuff anywhere. No Microsoft Office files, pictures, movies. My bookmarks are there in Safari as are a couple of Apps from my old computer (DropBox etc). Why this incomplete migration? Do I just try MA again? So appreciative of any guidance out there. Annie

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

The best way to migrate data from an older Mac to a new one is to use Time Machine. A full Time Machine backup will migrate everything. The key is to use the automatic Migration Assistant when you first turn on the new Mac and it asks if you wish to migrate data from another Mac. You need to do that prior to creating an account on the new Mac.

You didn't tell us exactly how you migrated the data but your data should be in a folder with your old account name from the previous Mac. For example if your old account name was "Annie", then that will be the name of the folder where the data was placed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.