Migration Assistant did not transfer dates

Reaction score
I moved everything from a MacBook Air to another MacBook Air using Migration Assistant, but all the files lost the dates they were created/modified. They all now have the date of the migration under Date Modified. I went from Yosemite to High Sierra, but otherwise there was no obvious change from one system to the other. Can I retrieve dates, or do I have to redo the migration? And if I have to do it all again, what can I do to preserve the dates? Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When you say "all the files", which files are you referring to? I have used the Migration Assistant many times and the only dates on files that were changed were those of the system not other files such as documents, etc. In other words, data files were left with their original creation dates.

One thing I should mention... if when you used the Migration Assistant, you created a new account at the same time, that would change the file dates to the current date.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
One thing I should mention... if when you used the Migration Assistant, you created a new account at the same time, that would change the file dates to the current date.
Wow. I didn't realize that. Learn something new every day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Sly, think about it--If you use MA before you create a new account on a new system, then MA creates the same account that was on the source drive, so when the files get copied over the creation dates are preserved as they are associated with that user. But when an account already exists (even with the same name), then MA migrates the files, but for THAT new user the files are being created new, so they get today's date. I can understand the logic there. So the lesson is that whenever you get a new system and boot for the first time, at the FIRST offer of migration, take it and everything will be migrated, including dates.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That makes perfect sense I just never really thought about it. I've made the mistake of creating an account first and then run MA but didn't notice the change in creation/ modification dates. Once I realized the mistake I deleted the account and started from scratch.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.