Migration Assistant – Authentication Fails

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Yes, it gives the option for what to transfer. As for Adobe, it's not that it is better not to transfer as much as it is that Adobe uses a protocol to register the software that ties it to a system. So you might need to unregister the old system before you can register the new. Microsoft has also used that same registration approach. That said, I used to use Adobe Photoshop and it migrated just fine for me. Antivirus is not generally needed for macOS, so I would NOT migrate that, nor would I reinstall it. You don't need an "always on" antivirus for Mac, there are no viruses in the wild. You can get DetectX Swift or VirusBarrier Scanner to run occasionally if you think you have been hit. Most of us here don't run anything resident.

OP
M
Reaction score
OK Jake ... many thanks for your reply.
All duly noted.
I didn't know about the virus issue.
I have MS Office (2011) on this old (High Sierra) MPB but am aware that I'll need a new version of Office. Accordingly, from what you say, I will also omit it from the migration because there's no need in the immediate future. I know that the built-in Mac equivalents (Pages etc) work in parallel but it's just a question of what I'm familiar with.
M

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have MS Office (2011) on this old (High Sierra) MPB but am aware that I'll need a new version of Office.

You only need a new version of Office if you actively exchange documents with others who have and use MS Office (Windows or Mac).

The Apple supplied version of Pages is a very nice WP and layout program which also reads and writes to the MS Office formats. You might want a new version of Office if you many older Office documents that you occasionally need to open and edit.

Keynote is the equivalent to Powerpoint and does real well displaying and editing PP documents.

Numbers is the equivalent to Excel and is probably the least of the three that I would recommend using. Nothing beats Excel, unfortunately.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
+1 for Admin chscag's post #23.

Ian

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks 'chscag' for the comments regarding MS Office. However, I do work with people who use Word. The same applies to Excel. (I also have some old documents in Word - including a book that will need updating one day.)
All in all I guess I'll stick with the Office that works with Mac.
M

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.