migrating to new iMac

Reaction score
I'm about to upgrade form a 2011 iMac - the new machine comes with a lot more pre-installed software such as Apple's 'accuse' programs. I want to keep those intact. If I use migration assistant will it wipe the new HD with a copy of my old one, or will I be able to preserve what is already installed?

C

chas_m

Migration Assistant is very intelligent, and does not (of course) replace any newer programs with copies from your older machine. It doesn't change anything that comes shipped on the machine (I have no idea at all what you mean by "accuse" programs).

Just put the two machines side by side turn the new one on. At some point in the startup and registration process you'll be asked if you want to set up an account from an existing Mac, a Time Machine backup of an existing Mac, or what. Connect the two machines by USB 2 or USB 3 and be patient and you'll be extremely impressed by how well Migration Assistant works.

DO NOT set up an account first and then try to use Migration Assistant! You'll just create a lot more work for yourself.

OP
F
Reaction score
Thx for reply, re: 'accuse' I typed 'Office' and some weird spellcheck thing happened! I meant the Apple versions of Excel, Word, etc.

Reaction score
I am about to order a new Imac. I will migrate my old Imac to the new one but I want to keep and use the old Imac interchangeably at another location. When I migrate will that wipe my stored photos, documents etc on the old Imac? Is it possible to use both machines, similar to using a laptop say at work in conjunction with using the desktop at home ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
When I migrate will that wipe my stored photos, documents etc on the old Imac? Is it possible to use both machines, similar to using a laptop say at work in conjunction with using the desktop at home ?

Yes, of course. The Migration Assistant does not remove data from the machine it's migrating from. It merely copies it to the new machine - depending of course if you do it correcly. Be sure to read thru this thread and follow the instructions given by member "chas_m" above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 iMac 27, 4Ghz i7, 1TB SSD, 32GB, M395X, Pegasus R4, 2015 MPB, 2x 2013 MacBook Air 13s
... I will migrate my old Imac to the new one but I want to keep and use the old Imac interchangeably at another location. When I migrate will that wipe my stored photos, documents etc on the old Imac? Is it possible to use both machines, similar to using a laptop say at work in conjunction with using the desktop at home ?

Yes MA works great, esp between Macs. I just did that from my old iMac to new iMac. It is a big advantage over Windows which cannot really migrate apps (whether Windows to Windows or Windows to Mac) because of the registry. With OS X there is no registry so all your apps and files move over and work. Your old Mac will continue to work.

The only exception to this is certain apps and plugins (depending on the licensing) may require re-authentication or re-entry of the product key on the new Mac. The app or plugin will prompt you for this. Typically you have that produce key in your email, so you just do a search and re-enter it as needed.

Also be aware of any apps which require de-authorization before using on your new Mac. For example iTunes will only authorize up to five computers, so de-authorizing iTunes on your old computer might be wise.

Reaction score
I am still stuck between the new Imac and the Samsung Curved All-In One

I have an imac now but I do love me a samsung TV. I'll probably get the MAC, samsung trying to get into the computer segment will be difficult. They are so many years behind.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I am still stuck between the new Imac and the Samsung Curved All-In One

I have an imac now but I do love me a samsung TV. I'll probably get the MAC, samsung trying to get into the computer segment will be difficult. They are so many years behind.

And I dare say you're going to be stuck there for an awfully looooong time, but I do hope you continue to enjoy your Samsung TV, and they do make some nice units. And even some 4K and larger units!!

Reaction score
Thank you for your kind responses to my question on migrating to a new iMac. I'm going to go for the pure SSD drive, having lost a little faith in fusion drives as I've had my 2012 3tb fusion drive replaced by Apple in a recall and to be honest 'I feel the need for speed'. I want to store my files i.e photos, which have somehow grown to over a 1TB onto an external drive to leave the SSD just for apps. When I migrate, will MA give me the option of doing that? Will the apps such as Lightroom and Photo simply find the photos on the external drive? I really appreciate your advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.