migrate to new iMac

Reaction score
I have just purchased a new iMac and I am migrating the files, settings etc from old mac via time machine. It wouldn't transfer the files etc until I updated to yosemite on the new iMac. After updating it does not see the back up files from the time machine. They are still there when I connect it to older iMac. It started to back up on the new machine but I stopped it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Out of curiosity, what OS X version is the "old Mac" using???

OP
D
Reaction score
It is running yosemite. When the external drive with the time machine back is connected to the new imac it does not list the back up from the old machine, it only shows todays date and will not go back, even though I backed up the old machine on the same date. When I reconnect the external drive to the old imac it shows all of the back ups!!!

OP
D
Reaction score
Doh! Now using migration assistant and seems to be doing what is needed. Must be nightshift doldrums....thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Let's hope it all works properly.

It seems that TM with Yosemite hasn't improved much from various posts and forums including this one at:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/319272-no-time-machine-yosemite.html

I recall reading somewhere that one had to some sort of hokey pokey dance and hold your right hand over your left ear or something to get the older TM stuff to show — if it even worked then. :(

But maybe given enough time it may eventually work according to this:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6650152

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.