Midi Not sending from piano

Reaction score
I've been stuck on this problem for months, if not years. I have a Roland RP301 and i've been trying to connect my midi Piano to my desktop (MacPro Mid 2012). It used to work fine and i could use it with my DAW just fine, but a while ago it just stoped working(I think it was around the time i upgraded to yossimite) and i couldn't figure out how to get it working again. From what i've gathered, apparently the computer doesn't detect the piano at all. I've tried everything i could find.
I've tried going to Audio MIDI setup, finds nothing. Tried downloading MIDI monitor and looking for midi signals, again found nothing. I've tried different usb cables ("Xmidi 1x1 tab E-MU" and Roland UM-one) and installing the latest drives i could find for both. I even tried to connect it to even my Macbook pro Retina, no better result. I'm starting to think it might be a problem with the piano but incase not, anyone know if there might be something i haven't tried yet or some trick i should try? For i'm assuming this is the wrnong place to ask if it's a problem with the piano, but just in case it isn't.

Plase help, and do ask if you need any more specifications.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
One of the hazards of upgrading your operating system is that sometimes hardware that previously worked will stop working. Or software that once was fine, will no longer be compatible. I suggest contacting the Roland folks and asking them for help. It's possible that your Roland needs an updated driver to work. You have a Mac Pro which should allow you to install whatever card that may be needed (if that's what Roland recommends).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) - 2.4GHz - 256GB - 8GB DDR3L
I had a similar problem with a CME UF8 (one of the older ones) and Mavericks. I updated the drivers several times, did a fresh install of Mavericks, and even tried on friends' Macs... no luck. It turns out CME simply stopped developing drivers for my particular model of keyboard - I'd recommend taking another look at the fine print of the drivers you installed just to make sure it explicitly says your OS is supported. I really doubt it's a problem with your keyboard, sadly companies do this sometimes when they need to focus on drivers for newer products! It's definitely worth contacting Roland to make sure, like the last poster said.

Failing that, would it be possible for you to revert back to Mavericks, or even Mountain Lion?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.