Mid-2011 iMac Randomly restarts within 10 min of booting up

OP
J
Reaction score
I suspect you're probably going to have to open up that machine and check to see what's going on inside. Your iMac has three fans (newer models only have one): CPU, HDD, Optical Drive. If any of those fans stop or the temperature sensors for them are defective, the machine might overheat.

Sounds like a good place to look. Since I can initially boot it up for about 5 minutes, I suspect I'd have time to run a ultiity that could show me the readings from each of those temperature sensors. Any suggestions on what utility might fit the bill?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There are several utilities which can monitor fan speeds and temps. Macs Fan Control is free and will give you an idea of fan speed and temp.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
The ifixit site also sells the glass sucker and spudgers.

Actually most of the various suction devices that most "dollar store" type stores usually carry, even the suction cup hangers, work well.

I'd have time to run a ultiity that could show me the readings from each of those temperature sensors. Any suggestions on what utility might fit the bill?
I'd suggest using the free Macs Fan Control.app, I also use it on my 2011 27" iMac:
https://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Actually most of the various suction devices that most "dollar store" type stores usually carry, even the suction cup hangers, work well.

Very true. I have a set of very heavy Teak wood lamp tables and coffee table with glass tops of double thickness. I purchased a large mirror sucker some years ago and use it to remove the glass to clean underneath. I would hate to drop one of those glass tops. $$$

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would hate to drop one of those glass tops. $$$

I'll bet you wouldn't want to, and they're probably a LOT heavier than any 27" iMac!!!

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
I purchased that model iMac in june 2012, I think it was the 12th when Lion was announced. It came without a DVD and was running OS X.6.7 with a free download available for Lion with a code redeemable at the App Store.

The platter drive was so slow I ran it from a Silicon Power Thunderbolt SSD externally and selected it as the boot drive in System Preferences > Startup Disk. Speeds were +450 read and about +360 write.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I purchased that model iMac in june 2012, I think it was the 12th when Lion was announced.

Close but a year out for Mac OS X Lion harry.

Mac OS X Lion… its final release via the Mac App Store on July 20, 2011. Wikipedia…

BTW: That SSD must have been quite pricey and quite advanced even for 2012.

- Patrick
======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.