Mid 2007 macbook osx issues

Reaction score
I got a used macbook yesterday and I'm looking for advise.
It's running snow leopard 10.6.8
App Store doesn't work at all
It's got a 40gig hard drive and I got a 160gig I'm gonna switch out.
I would eventually like to upgrade osx to newer software.
Do I need a retail disk for the new hard drive install.
Thanks in advance

C

chas_m

The Mac App Store works fine on 10.6.8. I know because I have a machine running it.

Based on your saying that this is a now eight-year-old mid-2007 Macbook, I cannot recommend any OS upgrade and would suggest you stay at 10.6.8 for the very short remaining time you will want to own that machine.

You can still buy a retail install disk of Snow Leopard (10.6.x) from Apple for $20. I strongly suggest that you do so. Yes, you will need it for the new HD install.

This is a very old machine, and while still fine for a few things, it no longer receives security updates and is very RAM- and graphics-limited which is going to severely hobble you trying to do very much on it.

OP
K
Reaction score
I'll order the disk today, thanks for the help.
The ram was upgraded to 4gig from the previous owner.
iTunes iPhoto and IMovie doesn't work either, it tells me I need to be running 10.7 or higher.

C

chas_m

You'll need to purchase a copy of iLife '09 (probably findable on Ebay or Amazon for fairly cheap) to use the versions of those programs that will work well with that machine (and aren't included on the Snow Leopard DVD) or possibly you could reinstall them from the original DVDs that came with that machine which you probably don't have.

The mid-2007 can't see all four gigs in there, only a max of 3.3GB. Should run Snow Leopard beautifully but will struggle a bit with iMovie and iPhoto due to the very low-end graphics chipset. If you could upgrade to 10.7 you might give it a whirl but it's no longer available and wasn't distributed on DVD the way Snow was.

OP
K
Reaction score
Ok
Any idea how I can get the App Store running?
I've tried re installing several times.
ImageUploadedByMac Forums1422625946.375090.jpg

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Ok
Any idea how I can get the App Store running?
I've tried re installing several times.

When you get your OS install disk. Install that 160gig HD…erase & reformat it…then install a fresh copy of the OS. Then update 10.6.x to 10.6.8…then you should have access to the app store.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The problem you're experiencing is most likely something being messed up by the previous owner (VERY unusual problem). It's always best to start fresh with a used computer (wipe HD…fresh OS install).

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.