• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Microsoft "Surfaces"....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, OSX 10.4.8, 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I don't really see any of those to be negative or "hateful". People have their opinions, and some think it is impractical. That doesn't make them haters, and #9 simply said the usually it's not innovative. Maybe you need to check your definition of "hater" because nothing in this thread fits.

OK - sorry my definition of "hater" does not fit yours. That's my opinion.

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Hater.

None of the responses in this thread have been visceral enough to even come close to that definition.

Sure, not everyone likes it, but labeling them as "haters" is a bit much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |

Are we reading the same posts? :)

As I was #13, may I ask what I said that was hateful? I merely thought it an impractical idea. I never mentioned the company?! :\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" MacBook Intel Core Duo 2GHz, 60GB HD, 512MB DDR2, and the SuperDrive.
I personally think it's an exciting development. I'm surprised it's coming in to play as early as this year, as the last demo I viewed did not display the same capabilities. It'll be really interesting to see how Apple will apply this technology, which they have on the iPhone, to your everyday computing. Imagine a Macbook that doesn't have an actual keyboard, but a 'surface-esque' interface on the bottom half of the clamshell. That's a rather swell thought, to me at least.

Tak

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro dual core Duo 2/G4 server
My first question was who did they buy this idea from? And they still don't get it they can make shiny interface devices al they want, if they are still backed by the same crummy, crashpig of an OS, so what?

Lastly, when has Microsoft even built a hardware device that wasn't a colossal failure?

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
My first question was who did they buy this idea from? And they still don't get it they can make shiny interface devices al they want, if they are still backed by the same crummy, crashpig of an OS, so what?

Lastly, when has Microsoft even built a hardware device that wasn't a colossal failure?

That's a hater ;D

The designer was working with M$.

I don't think it could run off any current windows platform, it would have to be it's own OS, most likely derived from Vista. Bista isn't a crummy, crashpig OS. It's been very stable for a lot of people that know what they're doing and have it setup correctly and can fix problems a lot of the average users don't know how to and just like to nag about.

Zune isn't a colossal failure just yet either. Works as intended, they're just up against a giant which is named iPod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I personally think it's an exciting development. I'm surprised it's coming in to play as early as this year, as the last demo I viewed did not display the same capabilities. It'll be really interesting to see how Apple will apply this technology, which they have on the iPhone, to your everyday computing. Imagine a Macbook that doesn't have an actual keyboard, but a 'surface-esque' interface on the bottom half of the clamshell. That's a rather swell thought, to me at least.

I don't ever see this being practical in any small notebooks. One thing is that the LCD would have to be strengthened one way or a nother. Right now if you put any pressure at all on them, the picture distorts. Doing that is going to add weight. Also, the viewing area would down right suck. If you have to place your cell phone on the vieing are for it to be recognized, even a 15" screen is going to lose a lot of working area. Moving from one device to the next that is placed on it? That would leave you with no room what so ever. And trying to balance all of that on a surface that can constantly tilt one way or a next will be a hassle.

The technology is more advanced than what is in the iPhone. Unless they just haven't revealed that the iPhone is capable of sensing what ever is press against it's screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
I agree and disagree with y'all. (I like fence-sitting...I'm a libra) It is a cool piece of technology, but it's really only available/useful for those who are willing to shell out $10K for it. Now, because it's in its infant stage right now (along with the iPhone interface) I'd like to see how it can be applied to things in 5 years. By then it'll be less bulky and less expensive. But for now, it's really nothing but an expensive toy for rich people.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sooper Fast!
I agree and disagree with y'all. (I like fence-sitting...I'm a libra) It is a cool piece of technology, but it's really only available/useful for those who are willing to shell out $10K for it. Now, because it's in its infant stage right now (along with the iPhone interface) I'd like to see how it can be applied to things in 5 years. By then it'll be less bulky and less expensive. But for now, it's really nothing but an expensive toy for rich people.

How would you like to walk into a store and place all your items on a table and have them instantly rung up without having to stare at some slack jawed teenie bop that can't decide whether they'd like to stare at the cool red laser thingy or run it across those black lined tags?

/breath

It seems like it would have it's major uses in retail and business environments right now. Maybe would be good for an architect. Place a t-square on it and draw the lines with it showing the exact distance down to a hundreth or an inch or so with equivalent scale measurement in feet/whatever. That would be awesome.

Edit: Page 3, Pwn3d

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, OSX 10.4.8, 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Hater.

None of the responses in this thread have been visceral enough to even come close to that definition.

Sure, not everyone likes it, but labeling them as "haters" is a bit much.

Lighten up baggss, I used the term loosely :)

OP
baggss
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, since I posted that, others have proven you correct it seems.

Heavily subsidized, popularity and real success are not the same thing.

I agree with you to a point. The 360 seems to be holding it's own now, but the argument could made that how it got there makes it a questionable success.

Tak

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's a hater ;D

The designer was working with M$.

I don't think it could run off any current windows platform, it would have to be it's own OS, most likely derived from Vista. Bista isn't a crummy, crashpig OS. It's been very stable for a lot of people that know what they're doing and have it setup correctly and can fix problems a lot of the average users don't know how to and just like to nag about.

Zune isn't a colossal failure just yet either. Works as intended, they're just up against a giant which is named iPod.

Welcome my friends the the FUD. Although I find it amusing to be Branded an Apple flag waving Microsoft hater after supporting and buying their products since DOS. I can keep an XP install running and clean. In fact I still have an XP install on one of my my machines since I need it to play "Sam and Max, Freelance Police". So implying that I and others dislike Vista because we are too ignorant to maintain it properly is nonsense. It is also hardly an accolade that you HAVE to be a geek to keep windows stable. And they think THIS is acceptable for a home system and unskilled users? You have GOT to be kidding.

That is standard out of the Box fud.

As to Vista, Till Vista came out I was a regular widows user. And a Mac "hater" in the real sense of the term hate. Anyway, Vista.

Above and beyond being a crash prone hardware pig, it is a mess of restrictive no choice computing designed to control what "I" run on my computer, which Microsoft feels it has more right to decide than "I" do" and to maximize hardware consumption by making me pay for the hardware needs of the excessive multi media encoding and decoding to appeal to the draconian drm requirements demanded by the RIAA and the MPAA.

If windows can lock in the content providers, they can lock in the computer users.

Lastly the Zune, notice all the astroturfed Zune fan sites that have been virtually dead since the Christmas sales rush that never materialized?
The Zune wasn't "crushed by Ipod popularity" a lot of widows users didn't like it, its software was a crashy mess, with more paperwork just to activate it than it takes to get a US passport, a tendancy to not connect for a number of reasons from repeated software crashes, to not being able to use the front USB ports on a system. "Seems if the cable is too long it can't communicate properly, to the fact that it drms everything INCLUDING Public domain and privately ripped tracks. Lastly, the lets make it larger, uglier and smaller in capacity, and add a fake click wheel to confuse the technologically inept Christmas shoppers. And give it useless battery sucking features, like a share that is really just a shill, share your song, no, your song becomes a business card for the Zune store. Three plays and all they get is a link to you know who. And all of a sudden you become a salesman for Microsoft. Except real salesmen get paid for a commission. If the Wi-Fi sharing actually worked it might have been interesting.

And lastly, why no apple software? Apple won't support the Insane levels of DRM that it needs to work at all. Steve Jobs has been moving steadily against DRMed music. And at this point, Microsoft really wants Apple to just dry up and Blow away. Mac isn't a niche player anymore, pc manufacturers are finally supporting os alternatives, Vista sales consist primarily of OEM lisences and people forced Dell to offer XP again. So if you want to talk about stable happy functional vista, you might just have picked the wrong crowd. Mac user does not equal technically incompetent and I personally resent the implication.

Tak

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, since I posted that, others have proven you correct it seems.

I agree with you to a point. The 360 seems to be holding it's own now, but the argument could made that how it got there makes it a questionable success.

No argument, the 360 seems to me making its way, more or less, though the Wii is the system to beat these days. But the first X-Box was a big financial loss, it was totally subsidized by Microsoft, just to keep its foot in the door.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
It looks an interesting device, but it'll have very specific uses - I can't see it being much use for anything not involving images. As a "smart table" for dragging pictures, or even PDFs, around it would be great in a shop or meeting room. You'd get neck strain trying to use it in the traditional monitor sense.

As for putting that kind of thing in a notebook, typing on a flat surface would be awful, not to say painful

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
As for putting that kind of thing in a notebook, typing on a flat surface would be awful, not to say painful
Talk about typos!?! :Grimmace:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.