Microsoft Excel has stopped working

Reaction score
Every time I'd open Excel , it would crash instantly, leaving me a message: "Excel has stopped working".
I looked around and found a few solutions, but nothing worked for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Every time I'd open Excel , it would crash instantly, leaving me a message: "Excel has stopped working".

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) You really need to provide us more information: 1) What computer do you own, model/year; 2) What OS X is installed; 3) How are you running Windows on your Mac (my guess from the forum title); 4) Do you have the other Office Suite programs installed, i.e. Word and/or PowerPoint - if so, are they still working correctly; and 5) What have you done to remedy the problem, such as reinstall Excel? Dave

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Not enough information to help you. As Dave replied above, have you tried reinstalling Mac Office?

How to remove and reinstall Office 2011

Reinstall Office 2016

Same site above also shows how to remove Office 2008 (Just in case you're running that version)

Reaction score
Apparently in some cases all you need to do is start Excel/Word/Powerpoint/Outlook as Administrator in order to get permissions to do something on the computer. If you're using Windows 7, right-click the application in the Start Menu and click "Run as administrator". See if this works for you.

In Windows 8, open the Home screen, find the application you're trying to open; right-click it and select "Open as administrator" at the bottom.
. If you are still experiencing the issue I can suggest this program Excel Repair Toolbox
https://www.repairtoolbox.com/excelrepair.html

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That works fine if you're using the Windows version of Excel, but what does that have to do with using the Mac version of Excel?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.