Microsoft Edge Browser for Mac

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Well there sure are a lot of preferences and I'm struggling to work out why SearX Belgium is better than LavaSearx. You may need to explain some of the settings. I've got the basics but I feel a little out of my depth here.

Reaction score
Well there sure are a lot of preferences and I'm struggling to work out why SearX Belgium is better than LavaSearx. You may need to explain some of the settings. I've got the basics but I feel a little out of my depth here.

I took a quick look and changed a few setting (other than turning on a lot of the search engines available).

I turned SafeSearch off (no children in the house.) I enabled a couple of the Themes and Styles just to make things look less boring.

I changed a number of other things just based on my personal preferences. I don't think that there is anything that you have to play with if you don't understand it.

Every time I use SearX I find myself giggling. It reminds me of the first time that I used Google after being used to Web Crawler. The difference in how effective a search is is quite noticable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
I read this post a while back and had forgotten all about it, but recently I have been having issues with Firefox and corrupted cookies so I was looking for an alternative browser, one that is capable of synchronisation across multi-platform devices.

The first one I tried was Opera and that was soon consigned to the Trash!!

I loaded Edge onto my wife's PC, my iMac, two iPhones and an iPad and it couldn't have been more straightforward.

Using my iMac first it seemed a little slower at loading than Firefox but once I had sorted out all the crud that came with it, and set it up the way I like it, I found it just as fast, if not faster. One of the first things I turned off was the 'Content' that loaded at the bottom of a new tab.

Importing all the Bookmarks etc from Firefox worked very well indeed and synchronisation between devices is fine.

There don't seem to be any real problems apart from, maybe, the inability to customise Edge with different Themes other than Dark or Light but, on the whole, a good browser which I shall be keeping as my default for the time being.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yes, I get what you're saying. That has been a priority for me as well, cross platform synchronisation. Of course you do get that with Safari and Hand Off as well, just that I've never been a fan of Safari on macOS.
I'm surprised that Opera hasn't been fixed yet, I see you came to the same conclusion as I did some time ago. I am a returned user of the Brave browser which has great security features, is very fast, feels like a Chromium browser but only syncs Bookmarks across platforms at this stage. As for its BAT rewards system, it's innovative and good in principal but you may think of it as unnecessary baggage.
Personally I'm still waiting for Vivaldi to release an iOS version. They just released an Android version and I think it's just a matter of time till an iOS version appears. I love it on macOS so I guess I'll just have to wait.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac 24" M1 512/16/8/8 Sonoma. 2013 iMac 20.5" 3.1 i7 16GB Catalina. iPhone 13
There don't seem to be any real problems apart from, maybe, the inability to customise Edge with different Themes

I have been doing some research and fiddling and, as a result, I have found that you can set up Edge to use Chrome Extensions by going to the Extensions page and enabling 'Allow Extensions From Other Stores' at the bottom left.

More importantly, as far as I am concerned, a further set up enables the use of Chrome Extension Themes see:edge://flags/#edge-allow-store-extension-themes - Google Search

I think I now have the perfect browser for all my devices:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017).Processor 1.8GHz intel core i5.Memory 8gb 16000MHZDDR3.Graphics intel HD
Thanks
at the moment I,m using bing working fine

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.