Messages - what should synchronize?

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm trying to understand how Messages on my MacBook is supposed to work.

I am currently running Ios 8.02 on my iPhone 5c and Ipad and the Yosemite Beta on my MacBook Pro. When all devices are switched on and running any txt or IMessage I send from my iPhone is seen on both the Macbook and ipad and visversa.

When I "sleep" the MacBook and Ipad any iMessages or txts sent to/from the iPhone are not there when I wake them up. Is this normal, I rather thought it may work the same way as emails, but then again the messages aren't stored on a central server ( or are they??:Lips-Are-Sealed:)

Chris

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You might have to close the Messages app or, at a minimum, switch the conversation view to someone else's.

Unless you're running the iOS 8.1 beta, you shouldn't be seeing text messages (the green messages).

OP
C
Reaction score
I think you misunderstood my question, to rephrase, I wanted to know whether the linked OS X and iOS devices had to be active at the times the messages were sent/received for them to synchronise with the iPhone's iMessages?

Yes you are right, it's only the iMessages I'm seeing on the MacBook and iPad !:Oops:

Thanks,

Chris

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
No, the messages should sync across when you re-open the app. Does this happen with all messages or only some?

OP
C
Reaction score
OK, I think I'm with it now, the iMessages do appear to be synching, most of my SMS are TXTs not iMessages so not many to see, mostly my own sends. Looks like I'll have to wait for iOS 8.1!, or was that a joke? :Confused:

Thanks for your help,

Chris :D

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, iOS 8.1 with Yosemite will sync text messages across your Apple devices. In the meantime, if syncing messages is really important, you could use something like Skype or Hangouts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.