Messages on iPad and iPhone

Reaction score
I have a brand new iPad and iPhone. The software for both are updated. The settings for messages are exactly the same. Yet, when I send and/or receive text messages on my iPhone, they don’t show up on my iPad. I had the same problem with my old iPad and iPhone, but I thought their age was the culprit. Apparently not. It has to be something I’m doing or not doing. Any help would be appreciated.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
When you say messages, are you referring to SMS or Apple Messages (the green or blue bubble)? if the latter, then all Apple devices with access to the Internet can send and receive these messages. If SMS, then the device needs to have access to the cellular network.

In this case, WiFi iPads and Macs will need to have the Text Forwarding option enabled in iCloud settings and all be signed into the same iCloud account to be able to send and receive SMS'.

I use my iPhone 13 with my MBP and Mac Studio and all of them send/receive either type of message without issue.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, as I mentioned, if you're using all Apple devices, they can work purely with Internet access since they use the proprietary Apple messages system. However, to talk to non-Apple devices, you need cellular access to send SMS'.

Caryboy

Reaction score
Wonder if when you send a message from a cellular iPad what phone number is displayed….

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Wonder if when you send a message from a cellular iPad what phone number is displayed….

Maybe you could find the answer here, but I didn't see what Info would be displayed:

or here:

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Messages on iPad only go to other Apple devices. To go out onto other platforms, you need to have an iPhone connected to the same Apple ID (and nearby) for messages to send.

In the Messages app
88372f9cf93681d70c01df147daeb12c.png
, you can send text messages as SMS/MMS messages through your cellular service, or with iMessage over Wi-Fi or cellular service to people who use iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or a Mac.

From here; Set up Messages on iPad

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whatever phone number is associated with that cellular plan I imagine, just like an SMS from an iPhone.

Only with Apple messages can you use your iCloud email or your Apple ID.

Caryboy

Reaction score
Ok that’s what I thought, and was hoping so people would know who the message is from.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.