• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mensa Quiz Question

Reaction score
The fish-catching thread prompted me to post this because I'd like to know if I'm right.

I found an old Omni magazine — Feb./March 1993 — that ran this ad for Mensa.
TAKE THIS INSTANT TEST TO SEE IF YOU'RE A GENIUS.

Rearrange these six matchsticks to make "nothing."
No matchsticks may be bent, broken or placed over each other.

| | | | | |

This problem stumps 60% of the Mensa members who try it. And they all have IQs in the top 2% nationswide. If you can solve it, you maight have what it takes to join us. To find out, get our practice test by sending $12 (check or M.O. blah blah blah. . . .
I think I figured it out, but there's no answer in the ad, and no suggestion of a time limit to do so, though 14 years would be a bit much.

Anyone know the answer? I'm not sure whether mine would be considered "lateral thinking" or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
I think I've seen this before. Don't you just make a big 0?

_
| |
| |

I did my best to post it but there really is no good way to make a horizontal line on here

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
I don't think so, because a rectangle isn't a zero.

I suppose not. In that case, here's your answer:
msol6.gif

And more matchstick puzzles and the site from whence the answer came:
http://www.iamawiz.com/lunch/match.htm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I would think that a more appropriate response would be a "null set". Ø

Something like the attached picture:

matches.jpg

OP
B
Reaction score
Unless my thought that a rectangle or square can't be a zero is a stupid restriction on my part, Nil would have to be it. I had thought a square or rectangle would be too obvious, but maybe not.

I had come up with NIL, and also |/0 but had rejected the second one because of the rectangle/square thing. I wouldn't have thought of a "null set" in a million years.

I guess |/0 would be indeterminate, anyway, not zero.

michaelstumpf, thanks for the link.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.
I'd go with either the "zero" or "nil" responses. Especially since this was from 1993, it was the norm to see LED number displays that used 7 bars, 3 horizontal and 4 vertical. A zero would have looked just like the one suggested by michaelstumpf.

OP
B
Reaction score
I'd go with either the "zero" or "nil" responses. Especially since this was from 1993, it was the norm to see LED number displays that used 7 bars, 3 horizontal and 4 vertical. A zero would have looked just like the one suggested by michaelstumpf.
Yeah. I was looking for zebras instead of horses.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2.4 2GB
All depends on what do they mean with "nothing". The question says "to make 'nothing'", not to simbolize "nothing". If that is the case, as long as they don't represent/symbolize/resemble something, they are "nothing".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Personally, I would have lost interest after the request for money, but I have a couple ideas off the top of my head.

1. burn all the matches into nothing, but something would be left behind.

2. Arrange them to look like a math problem with a zero answer like 1 - 1.

Good luck, let me know if I should send $12 to someone who can make me a genius.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.