Memory Memory Memory

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Check this out:

* You are chatting with Jeff, an Apple Expert

Hi, my name is Jeff. How may I help you today?

You: Hi, I was wondering if you could answer a memory question for me

Jeff: What is the question?

You: I'm going to be getting a Macbook, and cant decide if I need 1 GB or 2GB of ram

Jeff: Besides E-Mail and surfing the internet, How are you planning to use your new Mac?

You: well those above and burning dvds/music cds

You: itunes with my ipod as well

Jeff: 1GB will work fine. Is there anything else you might use besides what you have shared?

You: Well I am anxious to explore dashboard, will 1GB ram hold me back?

Jeff: Not in the least.

Jeff: 1Gb is a very good amount.

Really, 1GB? Thoughts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
i agree with jeff, 1gb should hold you over
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
For those basic requirements, 1GB is just fine. In fact, I have 1GB of RAM and do everything you mentioned, topped off with Parallels and some other stuff. It gets a bit slow when Windows is loading in Parallels, but once loaded, things work just peachy :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Jeff didn't steer you wrong...1gb is fine for what you want to use it for. That is, unless you decide later that you want to do many other things. Some people go ahead from the start and upgrade to 2gig's but that may be overkill for you. You must decide.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
...You are chatting with Jeff, an Apple Expert

You: Well I am anxious to explore dashboard, will 1GB ram hold me back?
Jeff: Not in the least.
Jeff: 1Gb is a very good amount.

You: Really, 1GB?

Thoughts?
Jeff isn't called an Apple Expert for nothing... why the doubt?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
1GB is pretty adequate. I did find the slow down when using parallels (and only giving the VM 196MB ram :eek:) to be unacceptable which prompted me to purchase another gig. I'm actually really happy with the second and notice a little less latency and much less need for closing programs (obviously).

Reaction score
I went for 2Gb as I use Parallels and VM Fusion.

Looks like the price of RAM has dropped a bit recently too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB
I agree - 1gb is fine for what you are doing. You can always upgrade later if you need to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
Whoah, I thought that we were talking simple memory here. If you're thinking about getting this RAM pre-installed, I would hit the breaks. Most computer manufacturers (including Apple :() mark up the prices greatly. You will be much more economically sound to buy your Macbook with little memory and then purchase/install more yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Has Vista boggled all our minds? We are asking if 1 GB is enough? 1 GB is almost certainly enough unless you are doing really heavy duty stuff. Mac OS X isn't Vista - it doesn't need 1 GB just to get out of bed in the morning! :)

Before someone notes that "you should talk - you have 2.5 GB", do note that I fall into the "doing really heavy duty stuff" category - I use Photoshop CS2 extensively and felt that 2 GB was a better match. My Mac came with 500 MB, and following the advise on this board to buy my memory externally, I picked up another 2 GB and installed it, resulting in the oddball 2.5 GB number. I really only wanted 2 GB, but try buying a balanced set of RAM chips that adds 1.5 GB! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16
I feel I must say that if you are using email, a few or several safari windows, iTunes, and some office programs....you can begin to suffocate your 1 gig...I tend to do 30 things at once, so even when im using relatively low level software, 1 gig isn't enough all the time....oh and I dont like to restart and I heard that there are some RAM leaks (I thin thats the term) associated with Safari.
Just thought I would share an alternative perspective.
-d

Reaction score
I was doing all the stuff that you mentioned with 512mb of ram, and had no problems. I had upgrade memory in order for PS CS2, and parallels.

1 gig will be more than enough for your needs.

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Think the 1 GB will be ok if I also plan on using iMovie and converting AVIs and such?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.