Memory Maximum???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15-inch, Late 2011 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7 10 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB
Hey all, I wanted to find out what the total amount of RAM that my MBP is allowed to have. I currently have 10GB of RAM in my MBP. I had to have the CD/DVD replaced due to stopped working. I was impressed when Apple sent me a box and I sent my MBP to them for repair. When I recv'd it back I found that Apple removed my memory that I had in it and put in a 2GB stick. They sent me back my memory in a static free bag. Well, I wasn't sure what was happening so I called them. They told me that the max memory allowed for my MBP was either 6 or 8GB. Well, I replaced my memory back into my MBP and I have a program called Memory Clean that verifies the full 10GB of memory and how it is allocated. Even the MBP system shows a full 10GB of memory in there. Can someone tell me why Apple told me that the max was 6 (or 8GB) and computer wouldn't recognize beyond that. My system stats are:

MacBook Pro 15-inch, Late 2011
Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 10 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB
Software OS X 10.10.1

I'm just trying to understand why I was told that 10GB wouldn't work when my system has been running with it for quite some time with no problems. Apple said it would cause problems.

Thanks in advance for advice and info.

DJ Bear

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It will handle 16GB. Apple often under estimate the machines needs. You will see Mavericks and Yosemite require what, 2GB? Most experienced users will tell you 8GB. If Apple manufactured memory, which they don't, then no doubt they would be all for selling it. Have a read of this:-

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1552622

OP
DJBearOH
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15-inch, Late 2011 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7 10 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB
Thanks for the quick response and for the link to the other post. Funny how Apple would only tell us the amount THEY want us to use instead of getting the most out of their computers and tell us the max we can use for memory.
Thanks again, Happy Holidays!!

DJ Bear

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.