Media player

Reaction score
Am advised by message that Media Player needs Java tree / Flash. Is this the truth? Mac does not like 3rd party aps!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What media player? From where? When?
How are we supposed to know based on that information?

I personally have (I'm guessing) at least 100 3rd party apps on my Mac and all of them run just fine.

Reaction score
i think he has the window that says your media player is out of date please install media player and flash bull its a scam no media player uses it.

Download and use vlc or even plex to watch movies from your own movie files.

OP
N
Reaction score
Media Player

What an odd response. The biggest advantage of Mac is that it doesnt need 3rd party apps & therefore gets no nasty virus type bugs. How did you miss all this? You should perhaps buy a P.C. & leave us alone. Media Player...what? where ?:

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Mac does not like 3rd party aps!
May I ask where you're getting this information from as it is patently false. OS X has no issue running third party software and never has (this would be why 99% of the Mac App Store is third party software).

What an odd response. The biggest advantage of Mac is that it doesnt need 3rd party apps
Sure it does. Most people can't do everything they need with only what Apple provides with OS X.

& therefore gets no nasty virus type bugs.
OS X is rife with bugs (hence why this forum exists in part).

How did you miss all this? You should perhaps buy a P.C. & leave us alone. Media Player...what? where ?:
We didn't miss anything since no one has ever made the defensible claim that OS X shouldn't run third party software.

M

MacInWin

What an odd response. The biggest advantage of Mac is that it doesnt need 3rd party apps & therefore gets no nasty virus type bugs. How did you miss all this? You should perhaps buy a P.C. & leave us alone. Media Player...what? where ?:
That's pure BS. OS X is a operating system. To USE it you need applications, and they are almost all third party. I'm not going to get into the virus discussion, but at the present time there are no viruses for OS X. Annoyware and other crapware do exist, along with hijackers and adware, but those are pretty easily dealt with with a third party product called AdwareMedic, and prevented with two other third party products called AdBlock+ and Ghostery. And you can tune up OS X with a third party product called Onyx. You said in your original post that "media player" is sending you a message. Since there is no Apple app called "media player" the request for what the *bleep* you are talking about is appropriate. If you'd like to see how many third party apps there are, just a fraction of them are on the Mac App Store.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
And if the real issue is Java/Flash, then I gave you a link to these in the second post. All was explained in that thread.

As everyone else has pointed out, third party apps sit well with Apple and Apple encourages their use by selling many of them through the Apple Store and by releasing beta versions of Apple OS and iOS so that developers can modify their apps. Buying third party apps through the Apple Store has the added advantage that these are "sandboxed".

Ian

C

chas_m

And we still don't know what the OP is talking about when referencing "Media Player," as there is no such program that is provided on the Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.