Meaning of Copy and Duplicate As Regards HD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel iMac, 2.66 GHz, CD2, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.11.6; also iPhone 6 and iPad Air iOS 12.5.5
When I right-click on the Macintosh HD icon residing on my desktop, the options in the drop-down menu include "Duplicate" and "Copy".

What do these mean exactly? Does Duplicate create a Clone of my entire HD to wherever I designate? And what does Copy do?

Thanks in advance :Confused:

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" Intel iMac, 2.66 GHz, CD2, 4 GB RAM, OS 10.11.6; also iPhone 6 and iPad Air iOS 12.5.5

Harry, that doesn't quite explain my question, which has nothing to do with Finder. I don't care what window is open......as long as I can see the Macintosh HD icon on my desktop. If I then right-click on this icon, a menu drops down showing the following actions:
Open
Burn "Macintosh HD" to Disc
Duplicate
Make Alias
Copy "Macintosh HD"

The two actions shown in bold.....I'm trying to figure out what they do. Thanks.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I truly understand the concepts of moving, copying and duplicating a file. But my question doesn't pertain to just a file.........it pertains to the entire hard drive. When I right click on the Macintosh HD icon, I see options like Burn HD to disc, Copy HD, and Duplicate.

If these options indeed pertain to the entire drive, why do I need 3rd party programs like CCC or Superduper to backup my HD? Why don't I just invoke the Copy HD option and have my HD backed up to wherever I choose? Or similarly, why can't the Duplicate option be used to backup my HD to wherever I choose?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I see what you are getting at durango but despite the fact that you are theoretically correct to create a Copy of your HD onto the Clipboard would require double the space your Macintosh HD already takes up on the HD. It would be very time consuming and than you would have to Paste it somewhere, taking the same time or more.
Duplicate on the other hand can create a duplicate of your HD on another drive but it would not be updated as with SuperDuper or CCC and I think it would not be Bootable. That means you would need another computer to open the Copy. All in all a useless exercise for your purposes.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think you are right about boot ability Rod. I haven't confirmed it but I think either the copy or duplicate methods would have a problem with the many invisible files on a drive. I don't think they would get selected for copying/duplication unless they were first set to be visible.

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Slydude thanks for the confirmation. I have created a few OSX installers and it always involves locating certain package contents either by using terminal or Disk Utility.

Reaction score
Actually I don't think you're supposed to use it on the entire drive.
In *nix, everything is a file, no matter what it is. I think Apple just couldn't figure out how to exclude the drive in the contextual menu for files without some serious voodoo.
Just my opinion.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You might be right there Craig. I knew I'd never used it that way. I never really thought about the Unix voodoo that would have been needed to exclude these commands from being applied to the entire drive.

The mere thought of this gives me a major headache and possibly a good case of the hives.

Rod

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm with you cradom, after I posted to this thread this morning the very same thing occured to me. Just a case of not being able to change the menu for the sake of the HD. After all (although I do) not everyone bothers to even display the Macintosh HD icon on their desktop.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
After all (although I do) not everyone bothers to even display the Macintosh HD icon on their desktop.

As you know, Rod, it does take a special skill to effect that display, so you and I must be among the chosen few. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Vitally important information. Let's have a poll lol!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.