mbp's blank screen

Reaction score
Normally my macbook pro is working perfectly fine ever since the day i bought it. It just happened this afternoon when i closed my macbook pro for a while. When i opened it again, the screen went totally blank (black screen). After waiting for a while, since the screen was still black, i decided to turn the macbook off and then turn it on again. I could hear the the start up sound and it seemed like the computer was still working but the screen was still black. Then i took the battery out, and held the power button for a minute or something but it did not seem to get any better. And now when i turn on my macbook pro, there is no start up sound, it doesnt seem that the macbook pro is working anymore but the lid light is like when the computer is sleeping.

If I take the ac power out and let it stay like that for 20 mins then plug it back again and turn the macbook pro on, the start up sound is on again but the screen is still blank.

Now I have no clues of what is going on with my macbook pro. Can someone help me please? I would really appreciate if anyone can give me any suggestion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.4ghz C2D 4gb RAM,320gb WD Black 7.2k RPM. + iPhone 8Gb
well do u here any sound from it like when it starts up the cd drive or anything?

also try plugging it in to another monitor and try booting with the osx cd in while holding c to boot from cd

this might help

let me know

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz MacBook Pro SR
Could be your Video Card. The 8600 series Nvidia is a faulty card. Send it in for repair.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.8Ghz 4GB LEOPARD
In the same boat here...

I think Apple is hiding from their customers and forces us to talk to arrogant telephone reps who couldn't care less about our problems. This is not why I paid a premium for the Apple brand. I paid for Service, Reliability and peace of mind. I feel let down.

Ok, what happened to me? I had a defective GPU fail in my MacBook Pro which is just out of warranty by about a month. What does Apple do, they replace the mother board in my MacBook at a whopping cost of $330.15 refusing to acknowledge that a problem exists. See this link for an explanation and why I think that I should NOT have to pay for the repair. http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/31/figuring-out-which-nvidia-gpus-are-defective-its-a-lot/ The issue with the nVidia chip has been around for a few months. nVidia is finally acknowledging the problem and is working to resolve it. So it's time for Apple to step up to the plate and acknowledge it too.

Why is Apple ignoring the problem and and sticking it to their customers? Why is Apple only offering a 90 day warranty on the new part and refusing to offer me the option to extend that warranty? What message do you think that sends to me? It tells me that Apple has no faith in their parts or their repair technicians. The end result is that I no longer have faith in this computer and feel like I have a lemon.

For the price that I paid for this computer I could have had 2 PC's. At least I would have a backup computer in the event that one failed. I'm sure this is not the kind of image that Apple would like to have.

So how in the world do I get someone to listen to me and help me to get reimbursed for a repair that should not have happened in the first place but more importantly should not be left to the end user to foot the bill?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Hold down the power button until it turns off and then turn it back on- this has happened to me a couple of times (warning- you'll lose any unsaved work).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.8Ghz 4GB LEOPARD
On October 10 Apple posted Article TS2377 titled "MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issue". Apple finally acknowledged that the video chips used in some MacBook Pro computers were faulty. If the nVidia graphics processor in your MacBook Pro has failed, or fails within two years of the original date of purchase, a repair will be done free of charge, even if your MacBook Pro is OUT of warranty. Apple is also issuing refunds to customers (Yay!) who may have paid for repairs related to this issue. Please contact Apple for details on the refund process.

Way to go Apple! I have renewed faith in you once again. ;D

See also: MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.