MBP: Weird Screen Gradient

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Late 2014, 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Yosemite 10.10.3
Hey guys. I took delivery of a new MBP 15" the other week and the screen is producing a weird issue. When connected to an external monitor via HDMI, before I have logged into my Home account the MBP screen produces an oddly coloured area. It does not look like screen damage but rather an actual colour gradient being displayed on the screen.

I have attached a couple of screenshots below. You can see the different gradients of the coloured area if you look close;

Gyazo - 335d5534fc95b92d27403068332f53f5.png
Gyazo - ad983fa855dbb2563f2c45827944c72a.png

C

chas_m

Is this oddly-coloured area only visible when the screen is black, or does it appear when in normal use?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is this oddly-coloured area only visible when the screen is black, or does it appear when in normal use?

Hey Chas, sorry for the delayed response;

Yes, it only appears in this specific circumstance whereby I have my laptop hooked up to an external screen (via HDMI) but have not yet logged into my home account (therefore the screen is still black.

If I turn my monitor brightness down to black now, I cannot see the coloured area..

Do you have any idea what it might be?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey guys. Has anyone got an answer for this?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey guys. Has anyone got an answer for this?

Just to clarify a couple things mentioned in the original post. Are you saying this only occurs when the MacBook Pro is attached to an external monitor?

And if this is true…are you also saying (as it sounds like in post #1)…that this "color gradient" goes away after logging in (while attached to the external monitor)?

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Nick. Yes, this is all correct.

-Are you saying this only occurs when the MacBook Pro is attached to an external monitor? YES
-this "color gradient" goes away after logging in (while attached to the external monitor)? YES

I have attached another screenshot of the screen configuration below which leads to this issue;
Gyazo - 9a7577d12368dc3168c10c3b16b1164f.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok...thanks for the info!:)

Wow...that is really strange. How it goes away after completing the log in...AND only happens when an external monitor is attached. I'm almost at a total loss to even come up with a theory on this!;)

The only things I can think of are (since it only occurs when an external monitor is attached) is:

- since this computer is new...maybe its the beginning's of a hardware (logic board) issue
- maybe there's an OS install issue (could reformat/erase the storage & reinstall the OS to test)
- maybe something to do with the HDMI setup. Maybe the adapter/cable is "funky". Could try a different cable and/or adapter. Or even try attaching the monitor via something other than HDMI. If the monitor has a DVI port...you could try that.

* Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Nick. Again, sorry for the delayed response!

Thanks a lot for the pointers, I'll give them a try. If by any chance it looks like a mac hardware issue, is it worth replacing the machine anyway before I have further issues? Would I be able to just send it back to mac (I purchases online) and they would just send me a new one or would I have to reproduce the issue for them. I dont have pro plan yet, would this be covered in the 1 year warranty?

many thanks,
Josh

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Would I be able to just send it back to mac (I purchases online) and they would just send me a new one or would I have to reproduce the issue for them.

If you're near enough to an Apple Store…that would probably be faster & easier. But if you are not near an Apple Store…then yes…you can contact Apple about sending the computer to them for diagnosis.

I dont have pro plan yet, would this be covered in the 1 year warranty?

I think you mean Apple's "Extended Applecare".:) If it's a manufacturing defect (which it seems like it would be)…yes it would be covered.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok Nick, thanks. I took the machine back to the apple store initially as the screen was slightly offset from the body (no longer an issue). They told me that they would exchange it but it would have to go back to the web store where it was purchased. I take it they would be able to do diagnostics in-store and they I would have to post it back if it needed exchanging?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They told me that they would exchange it but it would have to go back to the web store where it was purchased.

Ahh…that does makes a difference. When you said you purchased it online…I thought you meant from Apple.com. If you bought it from Apple directly…this probably would have made the exchange process easier (they probably would have given you an exchange on the spot).

I take it they would be able to do diagnostics in-store?...

Most definitely. A problem like this may or may not show up in a diagnostic test. But even if it doesn't…it is a clearly visible issue…so a diagnostic test may not even be necessary.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Nick. I think this is solved. I changed the desktop image for the screen that was showing the gradient and now the issue seems to have gone!

many thanks for helping me trouble shoot non the less.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Nick. I think this is solved. I changed the desktop image for the screen that was showing the gradient and now the issue seems to have gone!

So are you saying it was simply the desktop photo/pattern that was being used?

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.