MBP macOS Catalina freeze and shut down?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I'm used to fixing my own problems on my 13" 2015 MBPr and some have been pretty dire from ransomware to complete system failure but I'm unaccustomed to the device fixing itself.

Last night I momentarily opened my closed MBP, went to the Launcher and scrolled through to find the name of an app I wanted to suggest to an OP on another forum. After locating it I closed the Launcher and re closed the lid. When I went to use the device this morning I found it was off.

That was odd in itself but after restarting and logging on Mail launched, I tried to quit it but the mouse became unresponsive then the device shut down, I don't use Mail.
I tried twice more, the second time I did not get any open apps, everything was unresponsive and after a few seconds the device shut down again. This happened three more times before I tried booting into the Recovery partition.
This worked normally and I successfully ran Disk Utility First Aid on both volumes of Catalina. In both cases a clean bill of health was given. I had no peripherals plugged in. I rebooted only for the same issue to occur again.

I tried booting in safe mode and successfully logged in, after 20 seconds the mouse froze and the device shut down again.

Okay, I thought maybe this is a time to take Apple's classic online advice and reinstall the OS. I have a Bootable USB installer for Catalina so I retrieved it, plugged it in and booted up the MBP in the hope I could just verify the USB stick was the correct one before using key commands to boot from an external source. It was the wrong one (I happen to have two identical USB flash drives) but the MBP did not shut down. I changed to the correct one, still no shut down. I ran DetectX Swift, nothing found, I ran OnyX (recently updated for Catalina) which rebooted the device as per and still no issues.

The point at which everything changed was when I restarted with the flash drive plugged in. Could that be it?

I went to Console and looked for a Crash report, nothing but under Faults and Errors I see; com.flexibits.fbcaldav.FBCalDAV-XPC the current faults appear to be connected to Fantastical, my calendar app. eg
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.85)]Received XPC error Connection interrupted for message type 3 kCFNetworkAgentXPCMessageTypePACQuery

I'm surprised at how many Errors occur in the Console window even after quitting Fantastical eg Received XPC error Connection interrupted for message type 3 kCFNetworkAgentXPCMessageTypePACQuery

Perhaps this is normal? I admit I am not that familiar with Console reports.

All I can say is everything seems to returned to normal but I have no explanation of what caused the initial problem, how it resolved or if it has. A bit untidy for my obsessive nature.
:sd

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.