MBP (late '13) crashes when NOT connected to external display

Reaction score
MBP retina, 15", late '13, High Sierra

My MBP constantly crashes within 10 minutes. First the screen goes black, then the fans start blowing and finally the MBP turns off completely. When I restart there is no mentioning of the crash or an option to send a crash report.

Strangely enough the MBP does NEVER crashes when I have an external display connected (4K via mini-display port).

This made me suspect that the internal graphics card (Intel Iris Pro) is broken, since an external 4K display would likely be using the external (or 'discrete') GPU (NVIDIA GeForce GT 750 M). I'm not even sure if the internal graphics card can be broken, but I tried to force the MBP to use the external card by turning 'Automatic graphics switching' off (preferences>energy saver>automatic graphics switcher). That doesn't fix the problem. I also tried a tool called gfxCardStatus but seems to be buggy and incompatible with MBP's > 2011.

Another weird situation is that after reinstalling High Sierra, the MBP worked OK for about half a day. After that the problems started again.

The question is how I can figure out what the real problem is, and how to solve/avoid it. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Welcome to the forum. I don't have an answer for you, but I'm sure someone will come along in a bit who does. I'm responding so that you have the two links in my sig. The owners of this site plan to close it permanently soon, but there are plans underway to keep the help coming.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It does sound like a graphics problem. You didn't say where you live, but it might be a good idea to make an appointment with an Apple genius bar and have them run diagnostics on the machine. Apple stores do not charge for diagnostics and your machine might just be covered under an extended warranty. Which would mean Apple will replace the logic board for free.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 32GB i7 3TB & 1TB NVME OSX 13,5,1 late 2013
this sounds like a GPU issue,

as if the fans are running full pelt when it shuts of its due to a kernel panic,

as chscag suggested go to an apple genuine bar for diagnostics if you have one near by there won't be any charge for that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.