MBP hangs up, apps crashing, Yosemite issue?

Reaction score
I think it's been since installing Yosemite, but my MBP is very slow to respond to simple menu commands, and Photoshop & other apps keep crashing... I tried using Onyx, and near the last line of the "details," I saw "Updating Windows boot.ini files as required"

Windows? that's kind of freaking me out. Can anybody tell me how to find out exactly what's going on? Is the common with Yosemite?

Can't process work. Argh!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
- How long has it ben since upgrading to Yosemite?
- How much ram?
- How full is the storage (gigs used & gigs free)?
- Have you tried rebooting the computer?

* Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Hey Nick!

Yosemite installed Nov 6
8GB RAM
138 of 500GB free
Yeah, I keep having to restart... It's somewhat better after restarting, but it keeps happening. I was thinking it was a Photoshop issue, but Excel & others are having the same hangup issues

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the info. Just so we know. Do you have Windows installed on this computer? And if so…is it installed via Bootcamp or virtualization (Parallels or VMWare Fusion)?

Also..what exact model MBP is this? Something newer, something older, something very old?

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Noooo no no no... No habla Windows on here. :)

it's a 17" Mid 2010... MacBookPro6,1

Yosemite 10.10.1 (just saw 10.10.2, so I guess I'll update too)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok…thanks again for all the info. Your computer (2010) is not the newest…but not super old either. But it is getting on being 5 years old…and if you're doing some serious Photoshop work…things may be getting bogged down.

Add to this the newest OS version (10.10 Yosemite)…will probably demand more than computing resources than OS 10.6 did when your computer was new.

Also…if you use your computer many hours each day…this makes the need for rebooting more frequent. And if you have lots of apps open…this will add overhead to things.

So to summarize:

- older computer
- Photoshop work (maybe serious photoshop work)
- maybe too many apps open
- lots of hours of use each day
- newest OS version

All of these things combined can result in slowness. I would suggest a ram upgrade…but 8gig of ram is the max. for this MBP. Rebooting more often should help…and is cheap!;)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
well...aren't YOU full of good news...hahaha!

I wonder if having ClamXav always running is contributing to it...the only other thing that I keep open is Quickbooks...maybe I should actually power down instead of putting it sleep mode overnight too... Hmm.

thanks for the insight Nick!

BTW...that "windows" line in Onyx...is it something I should be concerned with, since I don't have windows on there? Thanks again!

M

MacInWin

Did you buy it new or used? I ask because if you got it used, the previous owner may have had Windows and didn't do a full wipe/reinstall so Onyx is seeing some remnant of Windows on it.

M

MacInWin

Well, you could see if you can find "boot.ini" in Spotlight, or even better, get EasyFind and see if it can find that file. Once you know where that file (if it is there) is located, you can go there to see what else may be there.

In a different tack, is your drive one single partition? What does DU show you when you look?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
BTW...that "windows" line in Onyx...is it something I should be concerned with, since I don't have windows on there? Thanks again!

How about virtual software: Fusion, Parallels, VirtualBox? The boot.ini file is something left over from Windows XP. Did you run Windows in a virtual machine at one time?

M

MacInWin

Well, I'm running Parallels and I don't have that file on my system, unless it's hidden in the Parallels VM image somewhere, which I would not expect Onyx to open.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, I'm running Parallels and I don't have that file on my system, unless it's hidden in the Parallels VM image somewhere, which I would not expect Onyx to open.

Of course the file is not generated by Parallels Jake. The file would only be there if you were running Windows XP in a Parallels virtual machine. That's what I was getting at. And by the way, boot.ini identifies the partition location and boot information for Windows XP.

M

MacInWin

I didn't say Parallels generates it in any way. What I was trying to say was that boot.ini COULD be in the VM image, as it needs to perform that same function when Windows boots in the Parallels virtual machine, but I wouldn't expect Onyx to open that file to update it for any reason.

OP
C
Reaction score
No, never used any virtual machine of any sort (that I'm aware of), or anything having to do with Windows...
DU confirms that the drive is a single partition.
EasyFind didn't find anything at all. I can attach a shot of the onyx log I took with my phone if that helps...I'm running EasyFind again now

weirrrrd.

Last edited:
M

MacInWin

Well, since EasyFind didn't find it, I wouldn't worry about it. You might download Onyx again from the website of the developer--I think it's www.titanium.free.fr--and reinstall it an see if it still has that same line at the end.

OP
C
Reaction score
Ok. Geez... I downloaded & ran "cleaning" in onyx, and it finished quickly. Not seeing the log as originally described, I realized that I forgot where the log actually came from...

When I opened Onyx earlier, it advised verifying the disk, after which onyx said the drive needed to be repaired in DU. The log I mentioned was actually the log from DU... It said that the volume appeared to be ok, "updating Windows boot.ini files as required" was after that. Last line said that t he partition map appears to be ok.

I'm really sorry guys, you can't help if you don't get real info...
Does this new revelation change anything?

Sorry again for the hassle... #facepalm

Oh! On an unrelated note, a few weeks ago, as I was working, the audio from the iPhone 6 Keynote event started playing! No browser open, no iTunes or anything...didn't recognize the music until Tim Cook started to speak... The only way I could stop it was to restart! It happened 3 times that day!

Last edited:
C

chas_m

That would be impossible without iTunes, Safari, QuickTime or some other video player being open. So clearly you need to get a better idea of what's running in the background on your system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.