MBP can only find hard drive if battery is fully charged

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro (2010) 2.4Ghz, 4GB RAM
My MBP 15" Core Duo 2.0 GHz (A1150) will only boot in to OsX if my battery is fully charged. If I don't use the MBP for a few days and the battery has depleted a bit, the MBP will give a grey screen with the question mark (? - can't find hard drive).

My work around has been to leave the computer on the grey screen until the battery is flat and the MBP powers off itself. Then I re-charge the MBP for 4-5 hours and it will then boot in to OsX. It then has no problem re-booting once the battery is fully charged.

Has any experienced this problem before ? I am thinking maybe the PRAM battery needs replacing ? Could this be the problem ?

OP
robbiemullen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whenever I see someone with a "power problem"...the first thing I like to suggest is an SMC Reset:

Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)

- Nick

I tried all resets PRAM, SMC, etc...still the same. So now I have the MBP running (can't find harddrive screen) until the battery goes flat and then put it charging for 4-5 hours. It still won't boot even if I remove the battery and try to boot it just using the AC power after a SMC reset.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So now I have the MBP running (can't find harddrive screen)...

When you say "can't find hard drive screen"…do you mean:

- gray startup/boot screen with the Apple logo?
- or the desktop screen?

Just to verify…was this computer working ok when plugging in…just doesn't work when on battery power?

- Nick

OP
robbiemullen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you say "can't find hard drive screen"…do you mean:

- gray startup/boot screen with the Apple logo?
- or the desktop screen?

Just to verify…was this computer working ok when plugging in…just doesn't work when on battery power?

- Nick

Apologies on the extreme late reply to this thread, I have been very busy of late.

When I say "can't find hard drive screen" I mean the gray startup/boot screen with the Apple logo, except I don't get the Apple logo. I get a flashing folder with a question mark (?) - see attached image.

The weird thing is if I remove the battery and try to boot with it only plugged in to the AC mains, it still will not boot! The only remedy is to allow the battery to drain, charge it for 4-5 hours and then it will boot up ok.

mac.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The weird thing is if I remove the battery and try to boot with it only plugged in to the AC mains, it still will not boot! The only remedy is to allow the battery to drain, charge it for 4-5 hours and then it will boot up ok.

You very likely have logic board problems. There's something screwed up with the charging circuit logic that controls the input power. Take it to an Apple Store and let them run diagnostics on it. There's no charge for diagnostics provided you use an Apple Store, but of course they will charge for repairs if your machine is out of warranty.

Reaction score
He actually has the model with the faulty logic board my guess is its about to die get your data off of it

OP
robbiemullen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
He actually has the model with the faulty logic board my guess is its about to die get your data off of it

I didn't know this model had a known logic board problem. Can you tell me anymore ? Surprising since I have this MBP 7 years now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I didn't know this model had a known logic board problem. Can you tell me anymore ? Surprising since I have this MBP 7 years now.

I thought it was just the next years models, the mid-2007 MBPros that had the logic/graphics board problems.

I have one that got hit, but managed to just get under the wire for Apple's extended warranty program that's now long expired.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Doesn't matter if it's the one with problems. Yours has a problem, so it's important to backup your data before taking it to an Apple Store for diagnostics. Your machine is 7 years old and may not be worth pouring a lot of money into if Apple says it needs a new logic board.

OP
robbiemullen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Doesn't matter if it's the one with problems. Yours has a problem, so it's important to backup your data before taking it to an Apple Store for diagnostics. Your machine is 7 years old and may not be worth pouring a lot of money into if Apple says it needs a new logic board.

I won't be taking it to an Apple Store since we have don't have one in Ireland - just the online store. So it will be self-diagnostics. I have upgraded the MBP over the years, new hard drives, RAM..etc, but I don't think it is worth potentially spending up to $250 for a new logic board.

I have done some research online and I can't find anybody with the exact same problem, but this one sounds close (https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/194070/Why+can't+I+boot+from+any+drive)

One guy here talks about catalog repair.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.